collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tired of bein' lonely, tired of bein' blue, I wisht I had some good man to tell my troubles to - Bessie Smith, I Need a Little Sugar in My Bowl

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79790 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: December Song of the Month lessons: "Pocahontas", "What Child Is This?"
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lessons at my website this month are Bill Williams' "Pocahontas" and my arrangement of "What Child Is This?" as a Jazz waltz.  You can listen to the two tunes in the post prior to this one is this thread.  For the month of December 2018 only, you can order each of these lessons for $35.00 apiece.  Go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section for more information or to order a lesson.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Song of the Month lesson, January, 2019: Black Mattie by Teddy Williams
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2019, 12:28:27 PM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the song I've selected for the January, 2019 Song of the Month lesson at my website is "Black Mattie", as performed by Mississippian Teddy Williams, recorded by George Mitchell.  It has a drony, trance-inducing quality that anticipated a lot of later Hill Country blues.  Here is Teddy Williams' performance of "Black Mattie":

For the month of January, 2019 only, I'm offering a lesson on "Black Mattie" that includes Teddy Williams' intro, his verse one and two accompaniments and his coda, all for $35.00.  If you go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section, you can find out more information on the lesson or place an order for the lesson.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Song of the Month lesson, January, 2019: Teddy Williams' "Black Mattie"
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2019, 08:50:54 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for January, 2019 is "Black Mattie", as performed by Teddy Williams.  You can listen to the track on the post immediately prior to this one in this thread.  For this month only, I'm offering a lesson that includes the intro, verse one and two accompaniments and coda for $35.00.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Depression Blues" by Herman E. Johnson, Song of the Month lesson, February
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson I will be offering in February, 2019 is "Depression Blues", by Herman E. Johnson.  The song is an original composition, and Herman E. Johnson came up with a very strong set of lyrics as well as an imaginative call-and-response accompaniment to work in conjunction with his vocals.  The lesson transcribes his verse one and verse two accompaniments, his solo, and the very long coda, or ending phrase.  Here is Herman E. Johnson's "Depression Blues":

For the month of February, 2019 only, I am offering a lesson on "Depression Blues" for $35.00.  After February, the cost of the lesson will revert back to $55.00.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks, and I hope you'll take advantage of the opportunity to learn this piece, in which Herman E. Johnson took a really original approach to accompanying himself.  It's a great song for singing and playing, both.
All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re Song of the Month lesson on Herman E. Johnson's "Depression Blues"
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2019, 08:36:16 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that my song of the Month lesson for February, 2019 is on Herman E. Johnson's "Depression Blues", which you can listen to at the post immediately prior to this one in this thread.  Cost for the lesson until the end of February is $35.00 U. S., for which you receive Herman E. Johnson's intro solo, verse one and two accompaniments, his long later solo and his coda.  To order the song or for more information, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know about the Song of the Month lesson that I am offering for March of 2019.  It is Lil Son Jackson's "Gambler Blues", taken from his Arhoolie rediscovery album, "Blues Come From Texas".  Here is his performance from that recording (if you are unable to view the link, and would like to hear the song, send me a message and I will send you an .mp3 of the performance):

As you can hear, Lil Son had a driving, slippery sound and terrific singing.  I have transcribed his intro, verse one and two accompaniments, solo and coda.  The lesson offers an unusual opportunity to learn his approach to playing in DGDGBE tuning, which was different than that of any other player who utilized that tuning.  For the month of March, 2019 only, I am offering a virtual lesson on "Gambler Blues" for $35.00, which includes the TAB transcription of the song, very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the song and the song's lyrics, all sent via email.  For U.S. residents only, a hard copy version of the lesson can be sent for an additional $8.00.  For more information, or to order the lesson go to the Teaching section at my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com .  I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn a song from one of the Post-War masters of the Country Blues.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
This is a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for March, 2019 is Lil' Son Jackson's "Gambler Blues", which you can listen to on the last previous post to this one in this thread.  Cost of the lesson during March is $35.00, for which you receive a transcription with Lil' Son's intro, verse one and two accompaniments, solo and coda, along with very thorough talk-throughs of the song.  To place an order, go to www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Song of the Month lesson for April, 2019: Carolina Slim's "Sugaree"
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »
Hi all,
I've selected Carolina Slim's "Sugaree" for the Song of the Month lesson at my website for the month of April, 2019.  It is an exceptionally strong performance, one of the most striking I've heard in dropped-D tuning.  Here is Carolina Slim's performance of "Sugaree":

For the lesson, I have transcribed Carolina Slim's performance from beginning to end, with his intro, verse one and two accompaniments, solo and verse three accompaniment.  Cost of the lesson during the month of April is $35.00, and for that you receive the complete transcription and very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the song.  Here's an opportunity to add to your repertoire with a spectacular piece that everybody and his brother are not already playing.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Charley Jordan's "Hunkie Tunkie Blues": May Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2019, 06:14:55 PM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that my Song of the Month lesson for May, 2019 is Charley Jordan's "Hunkie Tunkie Blues", an exciting St. Louis blues from the early '30s with an exciting Latin rhythm that embodies the musical quality that Jelly Roll Morton dubbed "the Spanish tinge".  Here is Charley Jordan's performance:

The lesson includes Charley Jordan's intro solo, verse accompaniment, later solo and coda, and you'll receive the song's lyrics with the lesson, along with the TAB transcription and thorough talk-throughs of the different sections.  For May, 2019 only, I'm offering the lesson for $35.00.  If you go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com, in the Teaching section, you can find out how to order the lesson.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for May is Charley Jordan's "Hunkie Tunkie Blues", which you can listen to on the post prior to this one in this thread.  Cost of the lesson for the month of May only is $35.00, for which you receive a transcription including Charley Jordan's intro solo, his verse accompaniment, his later solo and the coda to the song, as well as very thorough talk-throughs of the different sections.  To order, follow the instructions on the post previous to this one.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Eugene Powell's "How You Want Your Rolling Done?", Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
Hi all,
I have selected Eugene Powell's "How You Want Your Rolling Done?" for the June, 2019 Song of the Month.  Here is his performance of the song:

Eugene Powell, was a practitioner, along with Bo Carter and Hacksaw Harney, of a sub-genre of Mississippi Blues that emphasized chordal sophistication.  Don't let the relaxation of Eugene Powell's performance fool you--he's operating in a pretty rarefied realm, conceptually, and working with an enormous vocabulary of licks and nifty moves in A position standard tuning.  One of the forgiving things about his rendition is that is not fast, nor is it meant to be fast.  That relaxed tempo gives you time to make the moves in the left hand. 

The lesson combines a pretty thorough transcription which includes his three opening solo passes through the form, his verse one and two accompaniments and a later solo, along with detailed talk-throughs of each of his passes through the form.  For the month of June, 2019 only, the lesson is available for $35.00, after which the price will be $55.00 for the lesson.  (A hard copy version of the lesson is available to U. S. residents only, for $42.00.)  For more information or to find out how to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com and look in the Teaching section.  I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn from a great guitarist.
Here are Eugene Powell's lyrics to the song:

All this Fall, baby, you ain't hauled your pay
All this Fall, baby, you ain't hauled a day
I believe to my soul, I said, you been stealin' out on me

Ain't it lonesome, ain't it lonesome, sleepin' in a big bed by yourself?
Ain't it lonesome, sleepin' in a big bed by yourself?
When you can't be with the one you love, and, she lovin' someone else

I hate to leave my babe, and look 'way upside the wall
Hate to leave my babe, and look 'way upside the wall
Make me, my mind, makes me want to go

I said, tell me now, sweet mama, gal, how you want your rolling done?
Tell me, sweet mama, gal, how you want your rolling done?
She says, "Slow and easy, like my old-time rider done."

Roll my belly, mama, roll it like you roll my dough
Want you to roll my belly, gal, like you roll my dough
I want you tor all me, sweet mama, 'til I tell you I don't want no more

Now little girl, little girl, gal, where did you get your sugar from?
Little girl, little girl, where di you get your sugar from?
You must've been down in Lou'siana, and got it right off that sugar farm

Tell me who's that, who's that knocking' on your door last night?
Oh, when I walked in, your hair wasn't straighten you right
But I hear the bedsprings poppin', and I heard my woman cryin'

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 12:17:57 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Eugene Powell's "How You Want Your Rolling Done?", Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2019, 09:26:46 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at www.johnmillerguitar.com is Eugene Powell's "How You Want Your Rolling Done?", a performance of which can be viewed at the post immediately prior to this one in this thread.  The lesson costs $35.00 during the month of June, 2019 only, and the transcription includes five solo passes and the accompaniments to verses one and two.  To order the lesson, go to www.johnmillerguitar in the "Teaching" section, where instructions are presented.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Willie Reed's "Texas Blues": Song of the Month lesson for July, 2019
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
Hi all,
I have selected Willie Reed's "Texas Blues" for the July, 2019 Song of the Month lesson at my website.  The song came from a two-song session Willie Reed did in 1928 (the other song from the session was "Dreaming Blues"), and both of those songs are among the greatest blues ever recorded by a Texas player.  "Texas Blues" was played in E position in standard tuning and the level of excitement and invention that Willie Reed brought to the tune has to be heard to be believed.  Here is Willie Reed's "Texas Blues":

The TAB transcription that accompanies the lesson includes Willie Reed's intro, verse one, two and five accompaniments and his coda, and the lyrics for "Texas Blues" will be provided, as well.  Along with the TAB, you'll receive very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription.  For the month of July, 2019 only, I'm offering the lesson on "Texas Blues" for $35.00.  To find out how to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com, in the "Teaching" section, and you will find instructions.  I hope folks will take advantage of the opportunity to learn this terrific song.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Willie Reed's "Texas Blues": Song of the Month lesson for July, 2019
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for July is Willie Reed's "Texas Blues", an especially exciting blues in E position, standard tuning.  You can listen to the song in the post immediately prior to this one in this thread.  The transcription that accompanies the lesson includes Willie Reed's intro, verse one, two and five accompaniments and his coda, and you receive very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription with the lesson as well. The lesson costs $35.00 during this month only.  For more information, or to order the lesson, got to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks.
all best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Fred McDowell's "Let Me Lay Down In Your Cool Iron Bed", SotM lesson, August
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
Hi all,
I have selected Fred McDowell's "Let Me Lay Down In Your Cool Iron Bed", originally released on the Testament album, "Levee Camp Blues" for the Song of the Month lesson for August, 2019 at my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com.  Here is Fred's performance:

INTRO

Please let me lay down, darlin', let me lay down in your cool iron bed
Well, let me lay down, baby, let me lay down in your cool iron bed
Lord, I been drinkin' white lightnin', yes, it done gone to my head

Well, I been drinkin' white lightnin', darling, it's done gone to my head
Well, I believe to my soul, this old whiskey gonna kill me dead
Lord, I believe to my soul, baby, this old whiskey gonna kill me dead

SOLO

Lord, I ain't got nobody, baby, hold my worried head
Lord, I ain't got nobody, baby, to hold my worried head
I want you tell me, baby, what have I done wrong?
Tell me, baby, honey, what have I done wrong?

SOLO

Lord, bring me a Christmas present, darling, baby, I'm in jail again
Lord, bring me a Christmas present, baby, baby, I'm in jail again 

The lesson includes a transcription which has his intro, verse one and two accompaniments, and his solo.  In addition to the TAB transcription, you will receive very thorough talk-throughs of the piece.  Cost of the lesson, for the month of August, 2019 only, is $35.00 U.S.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to www.johnmillerguitar.com in the Teaching section.  I hope folks will be interested in learning this song from one of the greatest of Country Blues singers and players in the post-War era.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:34:12 AM by Johnm »

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal