collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's funny just how hard a man can fall, when he get to thinking one woman has got it all - Blind Arthur Blake, Chump Man Blues

Author Topic: Guitars  (Read 6257 times)

twocrows00

Guitars
« on: December 08, 2004, 12:01:14 PM »
Anybody have any thoughts about Martins 000-28EC Clapton for blues. It's a pretty thing but way overpriced eh? Like all of friends from Nazareth, PA. I like Collings but they are through the roof. I need something decent for playing slide that has vintage appointments that I won't need to knock over a Brinks truck to afford. Slotted peg-head would be really cool. Why can't they just make'em like thay used to? I don't like the look of Seagulls/Tacoma(Don't even know if they make them anymore), Fender acoustics are crap(their electrics are too for that matter. Gibson Rules! I do like vintage Fender Amps.) and the scale is way to long. Washburn, dean, ibanez, alvarez, all Junk. Epiphone masterbuilts are okay but no short scale. I just don't like Taylors(Martin Wannabe's) I like Larrivee's okay except I can't stand the headstock. I need help. Until then is the Old Epi SG and Fender Champ!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Guitars
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:27:09 PM »
Sometimes you just gotta find the guitar that sounds the best for the money you can spend.  There's always another guitar down the road.  The best guitars I've owned found me one way or another, regardless of what I thought I was looking for at the time.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:51:51 PM »
TC00:

Dollar for dollar - value I don't think that you can beat Larrivee. They just released a traditional series short scale 12 fret guitars with slotted headstocks that may be just up your alley. Tone is great, almost as good as Taylors twice the price. Check 'um out.

Alex

twocrows00

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 01:25:05 PM »
Thanks, I'll be sure to check out those Larrivee's.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 03:46:01 PM »
You might want to check out Todd Cambio's guitars at www.fraulini.com. He builds them like the real old deal, and while the webpage is currently showing only 12-strings, he'll make sixes as well. There's been some discussion of his guitars on the Weenie boards if you do a search. I'm savin' my pennies for one someday!

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 04:09:51 PM »
What an interesting web page, Uncle Bud.  The Why a 12-String link makes me think I've never played anything but a "modern" wimpy 12-string.  I don't own one, BTW, but have played a bit in shops.  Aside from knowing that someday I may need one if I want to go for that sound, those guitars never made me think "gotta have one of these". 

tom

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 04:52:48 AM »
As far as the 000-28EC goes, I've got one, and it's a great guitar, but not necessarily the best for country blues or slide.  The neck is really comfortable, a smooth v shape like some of the pre-wars had (after all, it's an attempted repication of a 30's 000-28.  But it's a rosewood guitar, so that means the sound is resonant and even metallic.  The voice has a vintage, aged tone, which I like.  But for country blues and slide, I like a drier sound like you get from mahogany.  The best guitar I have for this is a Martin 000-17S, all mahogany.  To me, it's better for an older country blues sound.  Love small-bodied mahogany for the blues!  I usually pick it up over the 28EC for country blues, though the EC is an amazing playing fingerstyle guitar.

When I'll really be in heaven is when my '37 Gibson L-00 arrives next week.  I have a feeling the other two will take a back seat for a while.

Jeff

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:57:05 AM »
P.S.  I also like the looks of the Larrivee 000-50, and the price isn't too bad.  But if you want the ideal low-cost "something decent for playing slide that has vintage appointments that I won't need to knock over a Brinks truck to afford"  you should definitely check out Martin's 000-15S, an all-mahogany slothead.  I've seen used ones go for $800 or less.

Jeff

twocrows00

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 05:57:12 AM »
So do you recommend 14 or 12 fret models for slide? I like the shortness of the 12 fret but it makes it hard to dampen the slide especially when using a capo. I still like the 12 frets though so I may just live with that. Is string damping less imperative on acoustic than electric? Also, maybe slide should be on ring finger. Like playing IV chord @5th fret and you want to use your pinky to grab the 8th fret. Kinda hard with slide on pinky. Any advice on this?

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 06:24:59 AM »
quick thoughts:

I love my 000-15s.? I'd definitely play slide on one to see if it gives you the sound you are after.

As for 12-fret models and slide, I don't know about the damping issue - not that advanced yet probably - but I do find it a bit annoying trying to slide at the 12-fret, which is of course very very common.? But, weren't most pre-war folks playing 12-frets?

As for the slide finger, I use the pinky and this seems to be the most generic recommendation when you are starting (like I am).? It is very natural feeling to me.? But some folks use other fingers.? I'd be interested in a census of what Weenies do in that regard.

tom

twocrows00

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 06:30:45 AM »
I need help on right hand technique, I keep trying to play like Classical Guitar. I noticed that some of you play banjo. I play Old-Tyme Clawhammer. I've got a Mike Ramsey Chanterelle. It seems to me that the strum for blues is akin to the Clawhammer stroke or a Flamenco Rasgueado? I don't mean they are performed in the same manner. I just mean the strings are somehow loosely strummed rather than individually plucked. I may be way off base? I saw Eric Clapton play this way.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 07:03:15 AM »
As for the slide finger, I use the pinky and this seems to be the most generic recommendation when you are starting (like I am).  It is very natural feeling to me.  But some folks use other fingers.  I'd be interested in a census of what Weenies do in that regard.

Pinky. No question. And don't let Steve James see you wearing one anywhere else or he'll kick your ass...

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 10:35:21 AM »
Wildcotton:

Last weekend I had a chance to visit Avenue Guitars in Edmonton (FP will know) and had a chance to play a Martin all Mahogany 000. It was great, sorted of a muted tone. I was really tempted. I had never played all mahogany before and was quite surprised how bluesy it sounded. I'm not a fan of modern Martin necks (not enough V for me), but the sound was great-different.

Alex

PS.  post a photo of the L-00 when you get it so I can turn green, please.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 10:38:33 AM by pyrochlore »

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 11:21:21 AM »
I have to second the Martin 000-15S suggestion; it has a great sound and good price. If you are interested in a 12-fret slothead the 000-15S is a versatile, light, smaller size and aromatic guitar.
Martin ships the guitar with light gauge strings, I called Monday and found that the 000-15S can use medium gauge strings (although the thicker strings may alter the setup slightly) adding even more possibilities for this guitar.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 09:15:28 AM »
pyrochlore

Yes, I'll post a photo or two when I get it.  I bought it from a store up your way (well, not quite that far), called The 12th Fret.  It should arrive late next week.  I can't wait.

Jeff

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal