collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't care what people are thinking. I ain't drunk, I'm just drinking - Albert Collins, I Ain't Drunk

Author Topic: Guitars  (Read 6256 times)

twocrows00

Guitars
« on: December 08, 2004, 12:01:14 PM »
Anybody have any thoughts about Martins 000-28EC Clapton for blues. It's a pretty thing but way overpriced eh? Like all of friends from Nazareth, PA. I like Collings but they are through the roof. I need something decent for playing slide that has vintage appointments that I won't need to knock over a Brinks truck to afford. Slotted peg-head would be really cool. Why can't they just make'em like thay used to? I don't like the look of Seagulls/Tacoma(Don't even know if they make them anymore), Fender acoustics are crap(their electrics are too for that matter. Gibson Rules! I do like vintage Fender Amps.) and the scale is way to long. Washburn, dean, ibanez, alvarez, all Junk. Epiphone masterbuilts are okay but no short scale. I just don't like Taylors(Martin Wannabe's) I like Larrivee's okay except I can't stand the headstock. I need help. Until then is the Old Epi SG and Fender Champ!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Guitars
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:27:09 PM »
Sometimes you just gotta find the guitar that sounds the best for the money you can spend.  There's always another guitar down the road.  The best guitars I've owned found me one way or another, regardless of what I thought I was looking for at the time.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:51:51 PM »
TC00:

Dollar for dollar - value I don't think that you can beat Larrivee. They just released a traditional series short scale 12 fret guitars with slotted headstocks that may be just up your alley. Tone is great, almost as good as Taylors twice the price. Check 'um out.

Alex

twocrows00

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 01:25:05 PM »
Thanks, I'll be sure to check out those Larrivee's.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 03:46:01 PM »
You might want to check out Todd Cambio's guitars at www.fraulini.com. He builds them like the real old deal, and while the webpage is currently showing only 12-strings, he'll make sixes as well. There's been some discussion of his guitars on the Weenie boards if you do a search. I'm savin' my pennies for one someday!

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 04:09:51 PM »
What an interesting web page, Uncle Bud.  The Why a 12-String link makes me think I've never played anything but a "modern" wimpy 12-string.  I don't own one, BTW, but have played a bit in shops.  Aside from knowing that someday I may need one if I want to go for that sound, those guitars never made me think "gotta have one of these". 

tom

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 04:52:48 AM »
As far as the 000-28EC goes, I've got one, and it's a great guitar, but not necessarily the best for country blues or slide.  The neck is really comfortable, a smooth v shape like some of the pre-wars had (after all, it's an attempted repication of a 30's 000-28.  But it's a rosewood guitar, so that means the sound is resonant and even metallic.  The voice has a vintage, aged tone, which I like.  But for country blues and slide, I like a drier sound like you get from mahogany.  The best guitar I have for this is a Martin 000-17S, all mahogany.  To me, it's better for an older country blues sound.  Love small-bodied mahogany for the blues!  I usually pick it up over the 28EC for country blues, though the EC is an amazing playing fingerstyle guitar.

When I'll really be in heaven is when my '37 Gibson L-00 arrives next week.  I have a feeling the other two will take a back seat for a while.

Jeff

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:57:05 AM »
P.S.  I also like the looks of the Larrivee 000-50, and the price isn't too bad.  But if you want the ideal low-cost "something decent for playing slide that has vintage appointments that I won't need to knock over a Brinks truck to afford"  you should definitely check out Martin's 000-15S, an all-mahogany slothead.  I've seen used ones go for $800 or less.

Jeff

twocrows00

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 05:57:12 AM »
So do you recommend 14 or 12 fret models for slide? I like the shortness of the 12 fret but it makes it hard to dampen the slide especially when using a capo. I still like the 12 frets though so I may just live with that. Is string damping less imperative on acoustic than electric? Also, maybe slide should be on ring finger. Like playing IV chord @5th fret and you want to use your pinky to grab the 8th fret. Kinda hard with slide on pinky. Any advice on this?

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 06:24:59 AM »
quick thoughts:

I love my 000-15s.? I'd definitely play slide on one to see if it gives you the sound you are after.

As for 12-fret models and slide, I don't know about the damping issue - not that advanced yet probably - but I do find it a bit annoying trying to slide at the 12-fret, which is of course very very common.? But, weren't most pre-war folks playing 12-frets?

As for the slide finger, I use the pinky and this seems to be the most generic recommendation when you are starting (like I am).? It is very natural feeling to me.? But some folks use other fingers.? I'd be interested in a census of what Weenies do in that regard.

tom

twocrows00

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 06:30:45 AM »
I need help on right hand technique, I keep trying to play like Classical Guitar. I noticed that some of you play banjo. I play Old-Tyme Clawhammer. I've got a Mike Ramsey Chanterelle. It seems to me that the strum for blues is akin to the Clawhammer stroke or a Flamenco Rasgueado? I don't mean they are performed in the same manner. I just mean the strings are somehow loosely strummed rather than individually plucked. I may be way off base? I saw Eric Clapton play this way.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 07:03:15 AM »
As for the slide finger, I use the pinky and this seems to be the most generic recommendation when you are starting (like I am).  It is very natural feeling to me.  But some folks use other fingers.  I'd be interested in a census of what Weenies do in that regard.

Pinky. No question. And don't let Steve James see you wearing one anywhere else or he'll kick your ass...

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 10:35:21 AM »
Wildcotton:

Last weekend I had a chance to visit Avenue Guitars in Edmonton (FP will know) and had a chance to play a Martin all Mahogany 000. It was great, sorted of a muted tone. I was really tempted. I had never played all mahogany before and was quite surprised how bluesy it sounded. I'm not a fan of modern Martin necks (not enough V for me), but the sound was great-different.

Alex

PS.  post a photo of the L-00 when you get it so I can turn green, please.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 10:38:33 AM by pyrochlore »

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 11:21:21 AM »
I have to second the Martin 000-15S suggestion; it has a great sound and good price. If you are interested in a 12-fret slothead the 000-15S is a versatile, light, smaller size and aromatic guitar.
Martin ships the guitar with light gauge strings, I called Monday and found that the 000-15S can use medium gauge strings (although the thicker strings may alter the setup slightly) adding even more possibilities for this guitar.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline wildcotton

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 09:15:28 AM »
pyrochlore

Yes, I'll post a photo or two when I get it.  I bought it from a store up your way (well, not quite that far), called The 12th Fret.  It should arrive late next week.  I can't wait.

Jeff

Offline GhostRider

Gibson LG 0-1-2-3
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 02:37:49 PM »
Howdy:

Do any of you out there have, or have played any of the Gibson LG series guitars. The LG 0 and LG 1 are supposed to be ladder-braced whereas the LG 2 and LG 3 models are X-braced (LG2=sunburst, LG3=natural finish). 1947-1963 (the LG 0 lasted a bit longer).

All were mahogany back and sides, spruce top, short (24.75") scale 14 frets clear. Small-bodied.

These show up regularly on eBay, the X-braced models going for $700+, the ladder-braced ones for less.

I just wondered how they sounded and the sound difference between the X- and ladder-braced models. Does our resident ladder-bracing expert Mr. Cambio have an opinion?

Any info/opinions any of you have would be much appreciated.

Took all my money, put me on a bum,
Alex

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 03:39:45 PM »
I've played a few of the ladder braced variety and they definitely had that sound, and one or two were very good sounding. The problem for me was that they tend to have a relatively narrow nut width, but then I like 'em very wide, like 1 7/8". These are probably in the 1 11/16 neighborhood, and the earliest ones would be the widest of the bunch. Like most Gibsons, you've got to take each individual on it's own terms.

How do you describe that sound? Well, fat, maybe, with far less overtones. To me you really hear the wood more than the strings. Does that make sense? I know that when I heard Elijah Wald warming up before his book signing at City Lights, I whispered to Gre that I thought he was playing a Stella. Turned out it was a Kalamazoo. He ain't half bad, either.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 07:42:11 AM »
My new favorite description of the sound of ladder braced guitars is "a sinewy punch", that's what I'm shooting for anyway.  Some of the older guitars have a really dry tone to them, that may come with age, as the pitch pockets dry out.  I thinks it's hard to generalize the difference in the sound though because there are so many other variabilities; body size, scale length, woods, etc.  Another cool thing about some of the old ladder braced guitars is that they used lots of domestic woods that the fancier makers wouldn't (and still won't) use, like birch, oak and cherry.  I've been having a lot of luck with white oak lately.  It has a more vibrant, snappier sound than mahogany.
Expert my arse!

Offline ozrkreb

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 08:43:36 AM »
Pyrochlore:
I've got a Gibson LG-0 made in 1959. It was given to me by my grandfather (who bought it new) but I didn't play it much because the action was high and it just wasn't comfortable. I finally decided to take it to a luthier and see how much it would cost to get it into playing condition....$100 was all it took to get it playing like a dream. I've been kicking myself for letting this thing lay around for all those years unplayed. It's gotten a heck of a workout the past 2 months though.

It's ladder braced and has a nice sound to it....although I'm one of the people that believes that a vast majority of the sound comes from the player rather than the guitar. It sure does sound good to me though. I can't comment on how it sounds relative to the X-braced LG2 and LG3. As you mentioned, I see them occasionally on ebay...most of the time they are very reasonably priced. There's a couple of them hanging in a music shop in downtown Sedalia, Mo right now...at least there was the last time I was there.

Az
My hook's on bottom, but my cork's on top

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 11:35:50 AM »
"a sinewy punch" Yeah, I like that, Todd. Sounds like a good goal. Really lookin' forward to hearing Paul G's 12.

Alex, if you're lookin' for a relatively inexpensive way to get that ladder-braced sound, LG-0s and 1s are probably your best bet. I've seen real beaters, that need a neck reset, for under $200. Those in good condition, needing only a little set-up work, say $5-600 or less. I haven't looked for them on ebay, but they could be under rated there, if you're confident of knowing the condition (i.e. honest communication from the seller). Like I said, nut width (and neck thickness, really) is my problem with most post war guitars, until you get into the "reissues".

Wasn't Ari playing an LG- at PT two summers ago?

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 02:46:34 PM »
Just went down to Gary's shop to see how the little Stella was coming along. It's in line for a fret Plek and should be done in a few days. While I was there I scoped out what was hangin' in Real Guitars, which is the vintage/used shop in front. And what do ya know, there's a '67 LG-0, in very good condition. Action was great, and it sounded fine, but by that late date, the nut had shrunk to 1 5/8". I could hardly play it. They were asking $699 but they do have pretty high overhead there and their prices are usually high, but also negotiable. But 1 5/8"?? Actually, almost every time I go in there's another LG- or two and they seem to move pretty fast.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005, 06:29:35 PM »
...waxwing, yes, Ari played a 50's (I think) LG1 for a number of years, until, about a year and a half ago he bought a black, 30's vintage 14 fret L-00 ... he used to take both his LG and his J-45 to shows for the range of sound he needed, but told me last night on the phone that he's retired his J-45 because the L-00 can handle the sound of both the LG and J

Regarding the ladder-braced sound quest:  other ideas are a Kalamazoo, and some of the  all birch OS concert sized guitars fit the under $1000 bill nicely ... I think Neal Harpe had a nice little Galiano, all birch, for about $750 recently

dabluz

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 07:11:50 AM »
twocrows
before you're done in your search, especially if your ater an "EC" style guitar, check out a Sega instruments BR-163 (blueridge)

thi is a made in china american company and before your go poo hoo check it out. this is their top of the line guitar and features solid brazilian rosewood back and sides with .110 engleman spruce top. reatils for about 1500 but can be had for 1000. it's a beautiful guitar. inlayed bindings in ivroid and abalone. awesome looking. definate knock off of a martin EC. the one i have sounds great. can't beat the amount of guitar for the price. inlayed up the ying yang beautiful wood.the photo is poor but the guitar is beautiful an plays really well. if you would like a better picture let me know and i'll take a better photo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal