collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I left old Ripley the weather was kinda cool. Said 'boy, y'all be careful, prob'ly you might catch the flu - Sleepy John Estes, Special Agent Blues

Author Topic: Which guitar for blues?  (Read 4771 times)

Offline plop72

Re: Which guitar for blues?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 02:02:13 AM »
bought a Recording King yesterday (http://www.recordingking.com/guitars_ros626.html).
Think the guitar is gonna be delivered somewhat at the end of the week.
Can?t wait to get my fingers on that guitar  O0
It ?s the second guitar i buy. My first was a yamaha g228 which i bought when i was a teenager..

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 02:45:32 AM »
Looks like my kind of guitar! Let us know what it sounds like.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline alyoung

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 05:48:49 AM »
I know Brownie McGhee used a Martin D18 and Gary Davis a Gibson J200, but I believe that for blues, you need a guitar smaller in the body than a dreadnaught. I use a 1920s parlor-sized Stella and a Martin 00-17 from 1949, and both are great ... although the Martin tends to be the gig guitar because it has a bit more punch and versatility than the Stella. It's all also all-mahogany, which seems to be an ideal blues wood in guitars. I've tried a couple of Martin's "15 series" all-mahogany instruments and been impressed by them. So .... what about a Martin 00-15M or 000-15M? Each has an RRP of $US1499 ... not the cheapest on the block, but not a ruinous price for quite a good wee box (and if it's anything like my 00-17, it'll be good for slide too).

Al Y

Mister Steve

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
I liked the shorter 25" scale on a not so-deep not-so wide dread body style cheapo Yamaha F335 enough to get one for Christmas.  Price tag: $149, but can be had for less around $100 when Guitar Center has a blow out.

Pick up one with the inside label having all the details coming out of which factory in Indonesia "in accordance with specifications of Yamaha Corporation."  Better QC and pretty pretty clean.

Top: quality spruce lam natural.  Sides and back: meranti lam (a South East Asian mahog) used for furniture, house construction and coffins...you gotta love it.

Strings: D'Addario EJ22's...jazz nickle wound 13's.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:06:20 PM by stevej »

Offline Annette

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
I still think an archtop is still the best allrounder you can get - I have a 1940's Cromwell (by Gibson) archtop which can be used for everything - jazz (which i don't play - but others have) - fingerpicking - chopping back up work - slide - unfortunately mine has got a socking great hole in the top which used to hold a vintage selmer pickup!

I still have the pickup - but I need an electronics wizz to rewire it!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:47:25 AM by Annette »
Annette

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:09 AM »
Bolt on necks generally mean Taylors which imo have no soul. Of course old Gibsons and Martins are still the best, but also check out the new Guilds some of which people on this forum absolutely love.
Hmm, Collings use bolt on necks, and they have plenty of soul IMO - better than any martins I've played ;)
My own guitar is an Ayers, which is made in vietnam, to Australian specs. It's a lovely guitar and was cheap. All solid wood construction. Bolt on neck. Ayers used to do some with slotted headstocks, but I don't think their newer guitars have them.

AYERS Rocks !!!!!!!!...... lol..... I couldn't resist that mate... now I'm sure some are thinking, "What the Uluru is he talkin' about"............ maybe you just gotta be an Aussie to appreciate that one.
                                  P.S. sorry that there was no blues content in that.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »
Atkin L1 replica, their "Robert Johnson" guitar:

http://atkinguitars.com/Historic_L1_Series.html

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 04:36:18 AM »
Every Atkin I've heard and got my hands on has been excellent.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline ozrkreb

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 07:53:58 AM »
I've got a Recording King 626 and I absolutely love it. Took it to Sedalia just yesterday for a few hours:

bought a Recording King yesterday (http://www.recordingking.com/guitars_ros626.html).
Think the guitar is gonna be delivered somewhat at the end of the week.
Can?t wait to get my fingers on that guitar  O0
It ?s the second guitar i buy. My first was a yamaha g228 which i bought when i was a teenager..
My hook's on bottom, but my cork's on top

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal