collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Have 25 women in a hotel, just me you and your brother, tell me what time would it be? That's very easy Mama, it'd be 25 after three - Barbecue Bob, Good Time Rounder

Author Topic: Blind Willie Johnson Event  (Read 1793 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Blind Willie Johnson Event
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »

For those of you in or near Austin, Texas . . .

Lindy

-----------------

Blind Willie Johnson Event

Marking the 65th year since his death, the first ever tribute to Blind Willie Johnson will be held at Momo?s, 618 W. 6th St. Austin, June 3, 2010. Having recently located his burial site, the Blind Willie Johnson Memorial Fund organizers are raising awareness of his music and the funds to erect a cenotaph in Blanchette Cemetery, Beaumont, Tex. where Blind Willie was buried in 1945.

The show features Jon Dee Graham, Kirby Kelley, Jimmy "Preacher" Ellis Band, Biscuit Rollers w/ Orange Jefferson & Thierry Cognee, Scott H. Biram, Ruthie Foster, Mark Searcy, and Harry Bodine.

Seminal gospel-blues artist Blind Willie Johnson is regarded as one of the greatest bottleneck slide guitarists. Yet the Texas street-corner evangelist is known as much for the his powerful and fervent gruff voice as he is for his ability as a guitarist. He became one of Columbia Records best selling "race artists."

The founders of the Blind Willie Johnson Memorial Foundation, Anna Obek and Shane Ford, began researching Mr. Johnson?s life in 2007. Their efforts have uncovered the cemetery where Johnson is buried, as well as previously unknown information regarding Mr. Johnson?s life and whereabouts. Their research has been compiled onto their website www.blindwilliejohnsonfund.com. With the help of the Jefferson County Historical Commission and Museum of the Gulf Coast, they were instrumental in getting a Texas Historical Marker approved at Mr. Johnson?s last known residence in Beaumont, known as the ?House of Prayer.? Their love and support of Mr. Johnson?s music and Texas blues has pushed their hard work and dedication.

?It has been a struggle to garner support for Mr. Johnson?s legacy, that is why we have organized this tribute, to get him the memorial he deserves and to support past and future blues and gospel artists,? says Ford.

Blind Willie Johnson is considered one of the best slide guitarists of all time. Johnson's "Dark was the Night, Cold was the Ground" was included on the Voyager?s Golden Record alongside Bach, Mozart, Chuck Berry, the sound of a heartbeat and others to portray the diversity and culture of life on Earth, should any intelligent life form find it.

Johnson?s life was that of a true blues musician, full of struggles and pain. Blinded as a young child, Johnson made his living by playing on the streets of Texas cities. Legend has it that Johnson was arrested for nearly starting a riot when singing ?If I Had My Way I?d Tear This Building Down? in front of a courthouse in New Orleans. He died in 1945 from malarial fever after sleeping in the ruined of his burned home in the Texas heat in Beaumont.

Ry Cooder described Johnson's "Dark was the Night, Cold was the Ground," as "the most soulful, transcendent piece in all American music."

Be a part of the preservation of Texas blues and join us at Blind Willie Johnson?s tribute or send your support through www.blindwilliejohnsonfund.com.

Offline sarahskids

Re: Blind Willie Johnson Event
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:11:25 AM »
to Waxwing -

"Had to look up "cenotaph" and, wouldn't you know, it's been used improperly".

It's sad that you thought that was a "10 dollar" word. Also, just went on the website mentioned and cenotaph is exactly the right word to use.

According to the definition: "A cenotaph is a tomb or a monument erected in honor of a person or group of persons whose remains are elsewhere"

These people have found the burial site (the cemetery) which I guess was a mystery. His exact spot within the cemetery has not been found. Thus, the word.

They've also helped get Johnson a historical marker. Not cool to demean a great thing or Texans, which I am.

I guess it helps to actually read and look into things before making comments.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
Looks like you stepped in it there Wax.  :D

What do you think, slack, new license plate in the offing?

And we won't be messin' with the finest state license plate ever produced! ..which I'll attach in case anyone missed it.  :P

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »
"Blind Lemon, Blind Willie, Huddie Ledbetter, T-Bone Walker..."
Leadbelly was from Louisiana!
ain`t it annoying when people nitpick?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »
Oh crap, I missed it, being to busy to weenie at that time.Can anyone who was there give us a review?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal