collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now why don't you do something from your neck of the woods? - Carl Rutherford, to Mick Knight, Port Townsend 98

Author Topic: Hello and question re: Rev. Pearly Brown and Blind Willie Johnson  (Read 2149 times)

lostintheblues

Hi all,  just wanted to say how happy I am to have found this site.  It's worth my internet bill every month just for the radio lol.

Anyways..... does anyone know if the Rev. Pearly Brown and Blind Willie Johnson ever played together/travelled together?  I just heard two songs that both had recorded (Nobodys fault but mine, and By and by going to see the king)  and I was wondering if one learned them from the other or if they were both traditional songs that they just picked up along the way.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 11:02:15 PM by Johnm »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Hello and question 'bout
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 06:01:44 AM »
Hi

Glad you like it here, we do too  :P

As for Rev P Brown, no not as far as I can tell although Blind Willie J did record with Willie B Richardson (later Harris) as "lead vocal" so there you go!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Hello and question 'bout
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:39:13 AM »
Pearly Brown claimed to have been inspired to take up the guitar having seen BWJ playing on the street in the 20's.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Hello and question re: Rev. Pearly Brown and Blind Willie Johnson
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 07:48:43 PM »
Hi all,
This doesn't really speak to the initial question in the thread, but I was recently sent a new Rounder release of Reverend Pearly Brown to review for the Old Time Herald.  It's stuff that was recorded in 1973 and released on LP by Rounder in 1975, but the new CD version includes seven songs that were not on the original LP release.
It is a wonderful CD with high points being several duets Rev. Brown sang with his wife, Christine, and three numbers, most notably "How About You", on which Rev. Brown performed multi-tracked vocals to create a gospel trio vocal sound all by himself.  Far from being a technological gimmick, these performances are really superlative, and the sound reminds me a little bit of the songs on which Joseph Spence accompanied the Pinder family.  I would rate the CD very highly, and if you are looking for it, it is "Reverend Pearly Brown-"It's a Mean Old World To Try To Live In", Rounder 82161-2011-2.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Hello and question re: Rev. Pearly Brown and Blind Willie Johnson
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 06:26:35 AM »
I was watching an eBay auction of blues vinyl recently, with a number of rarities listed. Thought maybe I'd pick up something unusual for a good price. Hah! The original Rev. Pearly Brown LP you refer to, John, was one that was listed. It went for over $135 US! I guess whoever bought it didn't see your post.  :P Plus misses out on 7 extra tracks. Several other records I was watching all went for pretty high prices.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 06:27:52 AM by uncle bud »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal