collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A phrase that should live in infamy appears all too often in the Gennett ledgers: "Rejected - too much backwoods" - Richard Nevins, entry on the Shepherd Brothers in R. Crumb's Heroes of Blues, Jazz and Country

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 247000 times)

Offline Forgetful Jones

Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #2520 on: January 21, 2024, 08:38:00 AM »
After typing the previous message, I re-read your detailed answer to the puzzle and realized what you meant. I almost deleted my message. (probably should have)

Hope it didn't come across as argumentative. I very much appreciate the work you put into the puzzlers. And I like these songs a lot.

Cheers!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2521 on: January 21, 2024, 07:16:41 PM »
No problem, Forgetful Jones. I should be corrected when I'm wrong. I certainly didn't take it ill.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2522 on: February 12, 2024, 09:54:59 AM »
Hi all,
I have a couple of puzzlers for those of you who are interested. The first is "Trashy Gang Blues", and it features Mott willis on guitar, accompanying Willie Taylor. Here is the song:

The questions on "Trashy Gang Blues" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Mott Willis use to play the song?
   * Where did Mott Willis fret the bass notes he plays under the first line of each verse?

The second puzzler is Jack Owens' rendition of "Ain't No Lovin', Ain't No Gettin' Along". Here it is:

The questions on "Ain't No Lovin', Ain't No Gettin' Along" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Jack Owens use to play the song?
   * Where did Jack Owens fret the notes he hits in the bass under the first line of each verse?

Please use only your ears and guitar to arrive at your answers and please don't post any answers before 8:00 AM your time on Thursday, February 15. Thanks for your participation and I hope that you enjoy the songs.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2523 on: February 16, 2024, 02:50:00 PM »
Hi all,
Any takers for the Mott Willis and Jack Owens puzzlers? Come one, come all!
All best,
Johnm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2524 on: February 16, 2024, 05:43:58 PM »
"Trashy Gang" is played in C position, tuned down. Sounds to me like he's sliding up to the 8th fret of the 6th string, 5th fret of 6th and 3rd fret of the 6th to get those bass notes (probably fretting with his left thumb would be my guess).

"Ain't No Lovin" sounds to me like it's in A position, I think tuned to drop D, however – I feel like I can hear the low D droning behind the IV chord when he plays it up the neck. I think Owens is playing the 5th and 4th frets of the lowered 6th string, going for a similar bass line to "Future Blues."

Both very cool tunes!

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #2525 on: February 17, 2024, 05:20:05 AM »
Trashy Gang sounds like C at once.
Ain't no lovin hearing the low D but thinking cross note

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #2526 on: February 18, 2024, 10:43:08 AM »
Trashy Gang is in C, haven't worked on it much yet.
Ain't No Lovin', A out of drop D, bass notes are 2nd and 4th of the low D string. You can hear that low D pretty clearly halfway through the first verse.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2527 on: February 20, 2024, 12:53:51 PM »
Hi all,
Any other takers for the Mott Willis and Jack Owens puzzlers? Come one, come all!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2528 on: February 24, 2024, 11:12:32 AM »
Hi all,
It seems as though everyone who wanted to respond to the Mott Willis and Jack Owens puzzlers has done so by now, so I'll post the answers.

For Mott Willis' "Trashy Gang Blues":
   * His playing position was C in standard tuning
   * In the first line of each verse, he is hitting thumb-popped notes on the sixth string, first sliding from the third fret up to the eighth fret, then returning down to the third fret, via the fifth fret in the first verse, and in all other verses going directly from the eighth to the third fret. What makes the phrasing against the opening line of the verse so distinctive is that he is playing the same pitches on the first string at the same frets, but he off-sets the timing between the bass and the treble with wonderful syncopation.

For Jack Owens' "Ain't No Lovin', Ain't No Gettin' Along":
   * His playing position was A position in dropped-D tuning
   * In the bass in the first line of each verse, he rocks between the second and fourth frets of the sixth string, E to F# (relative to the pitch at which he is tuned), and therefore rocking between a V and  VI note of the A chord in which he's playing. Musically speaking, Jack Owens' house had many rooms--he was anything but a one-trick pony who always played in cross-note. He had other tunes like this one that he used dropped-D tuning to play in A, and on his song, "I Love My Baby", even played in Spanish tuning with the sixth string tuned down to C, something I have never heard any other musician of his generation do.

Thanks to those who responded to the puzzlers, and I hope that you enjoyed the songs.

All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal