collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some people say if you in trouble to call 911, I say call .357 - R.L. Burnside

Author Topic: Laughing To Keep From Crying  (Read 5010 times)

Offline iwbiek

• Howdy!
Re: Laughing To Keep From Crying
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »
Sadly DS-B has long left this mortal coil (1905-1986). I corresponded with him quite a bit in the late 60s/early 70s. He lived in Brighton in a house he named "Fresh Fields".

His real claim to fame was as one of the "founding father's" of Jazz Journal (1948-1973) he had a monthly column named Blues & Views and numerous blues reviews per issue. If it's important I'll unearth one of the obits.

The SBN (Standard Book Number) for the blues paperbacks can be found at the foot of back page for each book -  in the case of Ma Rainey 289 79825.6.

Sorry to hear that, but I figured he must have been old when at the beginning of "Ma Rainey" he said "some of us" still remember the era of the classic blues singers.

The numbers I was referring to were the ones you provided above that begin with "CBS."  Those don't seem to match the SBNs, unless I'm just not looking at them right.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 08:16:53 AM »
The numbers I was referring to were the ones you provided above that begin with "CBS."  Those don't seem to match the SBNs, unless I'm just not looking at them right.

Ah, those are the standard CBS catalogue numbers of each UK LP. I guess if the LPs were released in the USA, or anywhere else, they'd obviously have their own versions.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »
I don't think that the LPs came out in The States - "The Story of the Blues" did earlier, but not those four LPs. Some of the series were published in the US, but not all. It was such a great idea, though, and it's sad that it wasn't followed up upon. Sales ?ber alles!

pbl

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 04:19:22 AM »
My attention has been drawn this blog by Pete Lowry who is known at Wennie as Oddenda.  http://peterblowry.com/

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »
bookmarked! Thanks for the heads-up, Alan!

Offline JaccoD

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
As of April 2017 the document Laughing to keep from crying is available in an English translation, as part of a larger publication.

In 2011 a Dutch Journalist (Wim Verbei) published a book called Boom's Blues.
(in Dutch), that finally has been translated. 

This book contains the "Laughing to keep from Crying" manuscript as well as a biography pertaining to the author of "Laughing to keep from crying", Frans Boom.

The publication a a whole can now be put in perspective (WWII), with some emphasis on the restraints the Germans put on the Dutch by means of their "Kulturkammer". Interesting in this is that part of the Biography is built around the the connection between Mr.Boom and a Mr. Will Gilbert.

Gilbert a self proclaimed musicologist who seems to have had a certain influence on Mr. Boom, but who on the other hand help write directives for the Kulturkammer" provides for an interesting historical aside.

Offline cjhky82

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »
I came across the "Blues Series" edition of Savannah Syncopators today, published in the US.  The cover was almost identical, though it was slightly larger than the Blues Paperbacks edition. I'm assuming these are the American versions of the British "Blues Paperbacks" series. Any bibliophiles out there know if all 12 Blues Paperbacks got an American publication in the Blues Series?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:18:37 PM by cjhky82 »

Offline DavidCrosbie

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 07:08:48 AM »
As of April 2017 the document Laughing to keep from crying is available in an English translation, as part of a larger publication.
Follow this link:

https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11449.0

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal