collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Life wasn't hard with Gabe, you just had to drink a lot - Former sig. other, on life with Guitar Gabriel

Author Topic: How to make MP3s of you playing  (Read 6147 times)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
How to make MP3s of you playing
« on: November 21, 2004, 07:08:57 PM »
I hope there isn't another Weenie thread of how to go about making recordings of yourself playing, for posting or other purposes.  If there is, point me to it please.

I think it would be useful for people to share their own setup - how they skinned the cat (the similar thread on transporting guitars on planes was great). 

Here's my recent experience.  It's where I've ended up after some initial unsatisfying efforts with cheaper approaches (cheap mic into standard soundcard, e.g.).  Take it with the understanding that I am a strictly amatuer musician in the privacy of his bedroom office with a low end PC.  The goal was to be simple and inexpensive but effective.  Also, understand that I haven't yet completed the setup!  I still have questions maybe folks can help me with.

Microphones: 

The word on the street seemed to be that for "studio" recording a condenser mic is best.  Maybe someone can explain why - I really don't know much about mics.  I decided to go with a Shure KSM-109, mainly on name recognition and info from the company.  It's their low-end condensor "instrument" mic.  I paid $180.  I have no doubt that I could have gotten a less expensive mic, but I figured that with the money in the guitar and time in what I've trained my fingers to do, I didn't want a cheap mic killing the sound. 

A question I have on mics - so far I have only really been trying to record guitar.  When I go for guitar + voice, should I get 2 mics (one for guitar, one for voice)?  Or do people just back the mic off and catch it all in one?  Obviously, if you go back to the barebones recording rooms where much CB was recorded, you get one kind of answer.  But modern recordings are made sometimes with several mics for a single instrument.  Thoughts?

Computer interface:

Like I say, the soundcard experience was not good, so I went ahead and bought a Tascam US-122 inteface.  I paid $199.  This was not bought without considerable trepidation, as it seemed to get very mixed reviews on the web!  But it seemed tailor made to the CB purpose.  It has two channels with phantom power - perfect for a condensor mic each for guitar and voice.  So far (after a week or so), it seems my worry was not warranted.  It works beautifully.  Setup wasn't necessarily as transparent as it could have been, but not too bad.  Now that it is hooked up, it couldn't be easier to use.  Just plug into the USB port and go, pretty much.

Recording/mixing software:

So far I've been using the Cubasis program that came with the Tascam.   Too early to say what I think, really, but it seems to be a cumbersome interface.  I may search for something more streamlined.  But I don't want to be sinking unnecessary $$ into software, since my needs are simple.

MP3 conversion:
I imagine this one is easy, but how does one make MP3s once a WAV file is recorded?  Is there a Windows utility, or does one need a separate converter?

So, at this point, throw in a pair of cheap headphones I had lying around, and I am in for $380.  Not free, but not enough to send me to divorce court.  And the sound is great.   I've learned at this point in my journey that it really is a blast to record yourself.  And very educational from a playing perspective, I must say. 

tom

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: How to make MP3s of you playing
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 08:35:36 PM »
I'm the last person qualified to give advice about mics and recording gear, but conversion from .wav to .mp3 is something that a number of utilities (free and otherwise) can do.? Googling on the terms (wav mp3 conversion) will probably bring up a number of hits.? I use CoolEdit (which is now Adobe Audition) to record audio on the computer end.? It converts to a number of audio formats, .mp3 included, and is generally a good tool for editing.? CDex, a free utility designed primarily for ripping CDs, can also convert audio from .wav to .mp3.? It might be worth investigating as a free conversion tool.

As an aside - when I bought my copy of CoolEdit, it cost $80 to register.? ?Can't imagine what else the Adobe version could do that would be worth charging $299!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 04:32:18 AM »
I'm obviously going in the wrong direction then :o as I've just been playing with a Tascam 144 4 track which I have been virtually given.

No doubt about it, this machine was several pairs of bees knees 20 years ago and as a bonus it's so big it also doubles as a helipad  ;)

(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 07:02:00 AM »
Richard - why is that the wrong direction?? Some people say that analog will always give better sound than digital.? I considered it, but figured since I was starting from scratch and my ultimate goal was to get into the computer, why not just record straight into the computer.? I had access to a Tascam 4-track years ago for a bit (wasn't recording guitar at the time).? I think I'd say the biggest thing I like better about the digital recording is random access.? It is SO easy to just jump into any part of the recording, set up play loops, etc.

Frankie - yeah, I'm trying to avoid another couple hundred $$ for software.? $299 sure seems excessive.? For that, I'll just stick with the packaged software.? Also, while you may not want to give advice, I'd still be interested to know what you are using re: recording gear, especially on the voice + guitar issue.

tom

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 07:20:08 AM »
I'd still be interested to know what you are using re: recording gear, especially on the voice + guitar issue.

I'm using a Sharp m/d recorder and an inexpensive Audio-Technica stereo mic:? this one.? I'm not really interested in getting a *great* recording - just capturing my playing at the moment in the simplest way.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 08:26:26 AM »
a2tom,
Hhhmmm yes, I do prefer seam driven things in general and if I want to go totally overboard I have here somewhere ancient but  amazing 15 inch per sec Ferrograph single track reel to reel  >:D

However, that aside I would appreciate some advice on a improving the microphone stakes - any ideas something 1/4" jack mono and not too too expensive.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 08:28:08 AM by richard »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 08:36:39 AM »
Tom, sounds like you've got a nice little setup. You should be good to go once you sort out the software issue (which I have no advice on, since I'm on a Mac). Frankie had some suggestions and you can also go to zdnet.com in the downloads section, read the reviews and download something and try it out, both for mp3 conversion and audio editing software.

Like frankie, I record using a Sharp minidisc and a cheap stereo T mic. It's sufficiently unforgiving for me, giving me an excellent idea of how bad I sound. I can also record directly to the computer using a built-in mic. Sound is surprisingly passable for practice purposes.

Edited to add: There is an open source program called Audacity that one of the kids has just installed, which may be worth checking out, as I just noticed it's cross-platform. I haven't used it at all so have no opinions to offer. Apparently, according to the kid, early versions "sucked", but it is now "cool." I believe it does audio editing and audio conversions. Check here http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 08:48:15 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 08:45:11 AM »
a2tom,

I use a smilar setup to frankie (I know just enough to do what ?I need to get done) - A Sharp MD (was about $275) and Core binaural Mics (http://www.core-sound.com/mics.html) the low end ones, about $75. ?One mic for both guitar and voice - like in the old days. ;) ?Nice thing about MD recorders, they are portable and you can record anywhere, they double for recording at workshops - they have just come out with high capacity MD's that store 1 gb of data or 45 hours of recording on a single disk. ?

I also use Cool Edit to record from MD to computer and to convert and edit to MP3 - very handy. ?If you need some alternatives for MP3 conversion you might look at Winamp and several Output Plugins that convert to Mp3:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread...4161#post754161

Cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 08:52:48 AM »
they have just come out with high capacity MD's that store 1 gb of data or 45 hours of recording on a single disk. 

Slack, do these work with older models as well? I.e. is it just a disc with larger capacity or does the MD recorder have to be newer? And how much are they running? This would make life at Port Townsend so much simpler from a recording standpoint.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 09:05:18 AM »
Mics aren't forgiving, are they? ?I knew I splurged on the mic I bought (I had some gift money itching in my bank account...), but comments make me realize just how far overboard I may have gone!? I am intrigued by the fact that folks are just grabbing guitar and voice with a single mic. ?Do you find it at all hard to get a good balance? ?How far away from the mic do you sit? ?

Portability - hadn't considered that one!? I just may be the guy dragging a suitcase around at Port Townsend next year with all his recording equipment (actually, it is designed to be portable, since it is powered by the USB, but you still need a laptop in tow).

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 09:15:20 AM »
Slack, do these work with older models as well? I.e. is it just a disc with larger capacity or does the MD recorder have to be newer? And how much are they running? This would make life at Port Townsend so much simpler from a recording standpoint.

Now com'on UB, you know better than that - of course you have to have a new recorder to use the high capacity MD's.   ;)  With a Mic input the new HD MD's are $230-$330.  Checkout minidisco.com for the low down.  I'm tempted myself - they look really nice.

cheers,

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 09:21:01 AM »
I am intrigued by the fact that folks are just grabbing guitar and voice with a single mic.  Do you find it at all hard to get a good balance?  How far away from the mic do you sit? 

I think it is pretty easy getting a good balance - and sounds good with the CB style of music - in fact single mikes are all the rage with some Old Time players in performance (group setting!) and Del Rey is using a single mike for her performances - whcih I thought sounded very good (a bit different, but good) and it really suits Del as she is now free to move around the stage.

The two pieces I have in the Back Porch were recorded about 4-5 ft away from the mic.  I'm sure the balance could be improved becasue i spent no time or thought on recording setup doing those recordings.

cheers,

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 09:23:28 AM »
of course you have to have a new recorder to use the high capacity MD's.? ?;)

That's typical...? although I decided quite a while back that if I replace my m/d recorder, it's going to be with a portable recorder that has an internal HD.? No more discs and stuff.? Feh!

I'm sure the balance could be improved becasue i spent no time or thought on recording setup doing those recordings.

Same here, man...  I'm a "set it and forget it" kind of guy.  Mostly "forget it".

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 12:51:05 PM »
Same here, man...  I'm a "set it and forget it" kind of guy.  Mostly "forget it".

Yea, thought my time better spent practiciing!  :D  (although I do set the recording levels).

I like your minimalist avatar and text.  Is that you playing your Fraulini?  Been thinking I need a new avatar (I'm getting tired of looking at myself :P )  ...maybe I could do the left hand + F

cheers,

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 01:15:33 PM »
It's the Fraulini on Don't Fish, but the avatar is a crop of Lemon's picking hand from his Paramount publicity shot.  It was a thought I had while poking around for my first idea...

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal