collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I saw some cross-eyed people, I saw a man was so cross-eyed that when he cried tears ran down his back. I saw a man, Bill, with his eyes so near the top of his head, when he get ready to see he had to pull off his hat - Sonny Boy Williamson on cross-eyed people

Author Topic: scientific study needed re: The Duke  (Read 2541 times)

Offline unezrider

scientific study needed re: The Duke
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
hello friend,
this may be the silliest thing i have ever posted. & i'm not exactly sure on how this started, but a heated discussion took place with me & one of my coworkers last week. & we still have not come to agreement on this issue, so i thought maybe i could get a few points of view here as well.
who would win in a fight between john wayne & a vampire?
john wayne being the whole 'duke' persona. the vampire being, well, any vampire. pick your favorite vampire, be it one of those sissy emo vampires from twilight, or whoever. you can even use the guy from sesame street for all i care, & there is no way the duke would come out on the losing end! i say if the two corys could in 'lost boys' & buffy could, surely the duke could too!
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: scientific study needed re: The Duke
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:06:33 PM »
Put mathematically

John Wayne is greater than Buffy and Buffy is greater than a vampire, therefore John Wayne is greater than a vampire.

Notationally, JW > B, B > V, therefore JW > V

Q.E.D.  Show this to your coworker and tell him he loses.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »
Marion was a right wing dumbfuck who upbraided Kirk Douglas for acting the role of Vincent Van Gogh, who according to him was a cry baby of questionable masculinity. Kirk, ne. Izzy Demsky, who really was tough, and could have kicked Marion's ass told him to get stuffed. So actually any vampire at all could have kicked the living shit out of Marion "John" fucking Wayne.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline eric

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
Normally, I am 100% on board with Mr. O'Muck.  But if you ask me, the Duke has an advantage in that he did not father the extraordinarily talentless Michael Douglas.
--
Eric

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:03:09 AM »
Normally, I am 100% on board with Mr. O'Muck.  But if you ask me, the Duke has an advantage in that he did not father the extraordinarily talentless Michael Douglas.
Dude, Catherine Zeta Jones is totally hot. Anyone who can successfully do that is, by definition, not talentless.
O'Muck takes the Kewpie doll. John Wayne was a talentless fascist in a stetson, woodenly mouthing stilted dialogue and somehow simultaneously managing to stand on a mark.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:05:05 AM »
a right wing dumb

John Wayne was a talentless fascist in a stetson, woodenly mouthing stilted dialogue

I'm not a fan of Wayne's politics, but then I'm not a fan of my mother-in-law's politics, either, and I'm very fond of her.   :)

Wayne was a very intelligent, very talented guy.  When working with a good director and a good script, he was fantastic - check out Red River, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, and The Searchers to see how good he could be.  Like Fred Astaire, he desperately wanted to break out of the typcasting straightjacket and play a broader range of roles, but the studios wouldn't let him.  In my opinion he played the hand that he was dealt and played it well. 

And he could beat a vampire any day. ;D   

Offline Doc Brainerd

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »
Like Fred Astaire, he desperately wanted to break out of the typcasting straightjacket and play a broader range of roles, but the studios wouldn't let him.  In my opinion he played the hand that he was dealt and played it well. 

:o  ;)

Offline CF

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
Hollywood logic/reality allows a John Wayne to beat Bela Lugosi. But Dracula, allowed all the cunning & viciousness a five hundred year old vampire would acquire beats any human most anytime. 
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »
Hi all,
Just as an aside, the movie where John Wayne played Genghis Khan was filmed in Utah, because the producers thought the terrain reasonably approximated the look of central Asia.  Unfortunately, they didn't take into account that the site had recently been used for A-bomb testing.  The result:  the director, Dick Powell, dead of cancer, cast: John Wayne, Susan Hayward, Agnes Moorehead, all dead of cancer, a very high percentage of the crew, dead of cancer.  A sobering toll for such an idiotic production.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline unezrider

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »
hello friend,
that's a pretty interesting aside, john. i wasn't aware of that. & frankly, this whole discourse has been rather amusing. though personally i have to agree with dj's mathematical assesment  ;D

"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »
Two words:

Silver Bullets.

Also, I don't think vampires get cancer.

Mike

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 01:05:32 PM »
Two words:

Silver Bullets.

Ok, we've established that the Lone Ranger can beat a vampire.    :P

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »
Ok, we've established that the Lone Ranger can beat a vampire.  :P

sometimes scientific study takes a while to bear fruit.  :P

Johhm, that is sobering - how naive we used to be.

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 02:37:17 PM »
..as in the human race. e.g. to think that radiation could not hurt us.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal