collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Every time she shakes, some man's dollar's gone - Blind Boy Fuller, Meat Shakin' Woman

Author Topic: What are we listening to now?  (Read 10041 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
What are we listening to now?
« on: February 06, 2022, 01:08:20 PM »
We are living in the golden age of audio with huge catalogs of all kinds of music at our fingertips over a great variety of streaming services (which is another topic i'd like to bring up).  I hope we all post some music we are listening to, all genres, all formats so we can share our passion for music and discover new music we hadn't heard or maybe even considered.

I'm a long time Ry Cooder fan and I know Rivers is too -- in fact it may be his influence that got me to listening.  Anyway, I loved the Cuban/African influenced of 'Buena Vista Social Club' and 'Mambo Sinuendo'. So, seeking out more I came across this podcast on spotify... which includes a couple of Ry Cooder cuts.  Not a big World Music guy, but I'm going to explore a few more of these podcasts.  On iTunes, spotify, FB, IG.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/1O428uE2xfu4SPMpLAGy23?si=bc5478cd1be84751

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 01:15:18 PM by Slack »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: What are we listening to now?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 01:13:57 PM »
Got a have a bit of Dr John every so often.  Recording quality is great, a little New Orleans funk and it will give your woofers a work out. 

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 01:19:28 PM »
And Dr. John leads to The Neveille Brothers -- great live concert from 1994.  Hot stuff!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 01:38:34 PM »
Funny you should mention Dr John. I had my phone connected via bluetooth to the van's stereo yesterday, playing randomly, and Gris-Gris Gumbo Ya Ya came on. At the time I was battling through a blizzard on back roads in Vermont delivering milk. It was perfect, strangely enough. I don't have that Creole Moon album, must get it.

Richard Thompson albums "Electric" and "13 Rivers", "Serpent's Tears", others, on heavy rotation here. I listen to a lot of different stuff all across the map, all the time. My blues improvisation studies are drawing me back into that whole enormous genre also.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 02:40:44 PM »

I don't have that Creole Moon album, must get it.

You still buy albums?  Surely you stream stuff too, even to endoftheearth upstate NY...?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 02:52:39 PM »
I use Apple Music, can download unlimited number of albums (or single tracks) within the monthly $9 subscription. I download them to my Mac, they magically sync to my iphone for listening on the go. If I quit Apple Music I lose access to everything downloaded.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 03:00:34 PM »
Got it.  I'm going to start another topic on streaming as I am checking out various services now.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 03:11:28 PM »
Lots of country music for me - and the Cocaine and Rhinestones podcast. Finishing the last episode of the season right now, about George Jones' late career. I think the podcast has been mentioned here before. Great informative stuff, incredibly well researched, with lot of song clips. I wasn't hip to George Jones before, but I'm now convinced he was an amazing singer. So troubled, though.

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 04:12:37 PM »
Yes!  It's a great podcast.  Tyler Mahan Coe gets a little tiresome at times, a little strident about debunking misinformation, but wow has he done the research.  It's a fascinating take on Country Music and especially George Jones.  G. Jones is a one of a kind singer -- incredible voice and control.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 05:09:30 PM »
Two CDs I've been listening to a lot lately:

The Kora Band, a Seattle group that mixes contemporary jazz with West African kora music. One of my favorite cuts is Sinyaro:

Che Apalache, a band from Buenos Aires that plays music from all over the place. The instrumentation is classic bluegrass:

But seeing that they're from Argentina, they can't avoid latin rhythmic sensibilities:

And lots of Rev. Gary Davis.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 05:18:13 PM »
Finishing the last episode of the season right now, about George Jones' late career.

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/
Correction - the penultimate show of the season was just released Feb 1. I agree with Slack, a little tiresome and opinionated, but his opinions are a large part of the appeal. This particular show, a bit too long at ~2 1/2 hrs!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 05:29:55 PM »
Ha!  I have not finished season 2 - so I'll get back to it.  A good listen on my daily walks. Wikipedia has a good overview.  My friends in south Texas love the podcast and it's how I learned about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine_%26_Rhinestones

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 05:49:17 PM »
Thanks Lindy, I enjoyed those a lot.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 05:53:00 PM »
Hi all,
Here's what I'm listening to right now, on another browser--Bobby Timmons, with his trio, playing his composition, "Dat Dere". What a great tune!

All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 06:18:46 PM »
Thanks Johnm, that was excellent.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal