collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Next time I marry, I'm gonna marry good. I'm gonna get me somebody don't know a thing about this world - Tony Hollins, Married Woman

Author Topic: Brother John Sellers  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Brother John Sellers
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
A 'search forum' failed to locate a single hit for this artist so I guess he's probably "passee" hereabouts. Nevertheless the following is from the latest Roots & Rhythm email newsletter. I've always had a soft spot for the Vanguard recordings but some will probably say that soft spot is my brain!

BROTHER JOHN SELLERS Sings Blues And Folk Songs
Vanguard (UK) VMD 8005   $16.98
16 tracks, 48 min., very highly recommended
Reissues Sellers' two 10" Vanguard LPs from 1954 ("Sings Blues And Folk Songs", LP VRS 8005 & "Jack Of Diamonds", LP VRS 7022). "Sings" features Sellers with a small sympathetic jazz combo. "Jack" finds sellers accompanied only by Sonny Terry (harmonica) and Johnny Jones (guitar). (Both albums were "supervised" by John Hammond.) Although he toured with Mahalia Jackson and Big Bill Broonzy, and worked for years with Alvin Ailey, Sellers star never shone as brightly as it deserved. His style, less gritty sounding than many of his blues contemporaries, was thought by some to be less authentic that it needed to be--although Sellers was born in Clarksdake, MS., and raised in Chicago, both blues meccas. One listen to this excellent and long overdue release puts that notion to rest. An underrated performer worth (re)discovering. Informative booklet notes with label photos and reproductions of the original album covers (front and back). (JC)

[Afterthought: I goes without saying that for sometime Stefan has had a page devoted to him http://www.wirz.de/music/sellefrm.htm]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 11:37:11 PM by Bunker Hill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal