collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ask that pawn shop man, "What's them three balls doin' hangin' on that wall?" (He) said, "It's two to one daddy, you don't get your things back out of here at all" - Blind Boy Fuller, Three Ball Blues

Author Topic: The "Preview Post" function problem  (Read 7882 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
The "Preview Post" function problem
« on: March 17, 2007, 05:35:57 PM »
Hi
I absolutely hate to complain about anything here, since I think that you guys are doing the greatest job of them all!  :D Also, being myself a ?technically challenged? person, I suspect you might have nothing to do with the problems I face, and the problems might actually be at my end of the Internet. :(

Anyway, I?d like to ask your advice, since lately I have had numerous occasions, where I have written a post, or tried to answer one, for a good half an hour or more, and when I finally have wanted to use the ?preview post? function, I get to be transferred to the sites? main page, and everything I have written is being completely wiped out. In my case, you could of course argue that this is a blessing ;D, but if this happens with other members as well, you are more than prone to lose valuable participation.  :-\

I use Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox, and am, by the way, writing this post for the 2nd time, because I made the mistake of wanting to ?preview? the 1st one. :(

Yours

Pan

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: The "Preview Post" function problem
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 01:50:00 AM »
Anyway, I?d like to ask your advice, since lately I have had numerous occasions, where I have written a post, or tried to answer one, for a good half an hour or more, and when I finally have wanted to use the ?preview post? function, I get to be transferred to the sites? main page, and everything I have written is being completely wiped out. In my case, you could of course argue that this is a blessing ;D, but if this happens with other members as well, you are more than prone to lose valuable participation.  :-\
A couple of weeks ago I experienced something similar. It hasn't happened since but what I now do is select and copy what I've written before clicking preview. That way it's in the computer's clipboard and should my text get lost there's no re-typing required.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:11:55 AM »
Thanks for the good advice BH! :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:25:10 AM »
Hi Pan,

I haven't experienced that, although I rarely use Preview. Like BH, I've taken to copying everything to the clipboard when I type a long post, because I'm on a wireless connection and it drops once in awhile, sometimes in the middle of posting, when means you lose your work. I'll try Preview with this post and see what happens.

(Preview worked.)

If anyone else has this problem, let us know.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:56:32 AM »
I think this may have to do with one of the forum's time out periods.  Not to get too technical but the site checks a "cookie" to see if you are still logged on - and will time you out if there is a period greater than 15 minutes of no activity (you'll see at the bottom of the forum: "Users active in Past 15 minutes").  The site has no idea you are typing in a post, so typing does not count as "activity". So the Preview function, for some reason, thinks you are no longer on the site and dumps your stuff.... if you take longer than 15 minutes to compose a post.  That's my theory anyway, this could be tested by someone with patience. ;)

In any case, good advice from both BH and UB on copying or composing those long posts first on your local machine and then pasting them into a forum post.  :D

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »
Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head, Slack. I recall this happening to me now. It actually didn't have anything to do with Preview, it happened when I would hit Post as well.

Users can control the length of their login period, no? Directly through the login process? You can select Login Forever, which actually isn't forever, just until you logout again.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 05:23:39 PM »
Thanks guys!

The notepad/saving the posts is the obvious solution to my problem. :)

Maybe I'm more dependent on the preview function, because English isn't my native language.

I'm usually logged "forever". Should I logout and back in from time to time?

Pan

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 06:06:26 PM »
I'm usually logged "forever". Should I logout and back in from time to time?

No, that is a different deal. 

It's a little quirk with the Preview Function I think - so best bet is to use notepad to compose those ponderous posts.

Cheers,

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal