collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We're not going to play the blues anymore. Let the white folks play the blues. They got 'em, so they can keep 'em - Miles Davis

Author Topic: Robert Wilkins Private LP  (Read 1596 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Robert Wilkins Private LP
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »
Normally I let ebay listings stay on ebay, but this one just has me too curious. Currently there is a listing for "LP - Private Record - Rev. Robert Wilkins - RARE". There is no track information given.

"Private Records PR 4 12" 33rpm LP Rare record Limited to 99 Copies - Not For Sale on label"

Using the zoom feature I can see the label has "1964" printed on it, and the tail end of a track title "...g Down", presumably "I Wish I Was In Heaven Sitting Down"

Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LP-Private-Record-Rev-Robert-Wilkins-RARE-/181085751174?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2a298d4786

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Robert Wilkins Private LP
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
Pretty sure that was a Document-related release of recordings from Newport and other festivals. I remember seeing it in the first Document catalog I had back in '91 or so. I couldn't afford anything pretty much at that time so didn't get it. Never seen a copy.

The same label had some Son House I think from his last public performance.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Robert Wilkins Private LP
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
Pretty sure that was a Document-related release of recordings from Newport and other festivals. I remember seeing it in the first Document catalog I had back in '91 or so. I couldn't afford anything pretty much at that time so didn't get it. Never seen a copy.

Excellent memory Chris. From a section of the back page of the August 1990 Document catalogue.

CLICK TO ZOOM. Hope it's readable.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
Thank you, fellas. Somehow I missed it on Stefan's discography as well, since it is there now that I look again. There are some titles on there that are not familiar to me. And the only version I have of Thank You Jesus is an instrumental, so would love to hear him with the Georgia Sea Island Singers. Someone should buy this and send me a copy.  :P

Offline alyoung

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:54 AM »
I'm not sure (my references aren't handy) but I think everything on this album has since been made available elsewhere.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:51:14 AM »
I'm not sure (my references aren't handy) but I think everything on this album has since been made available elsewhere.
Stefan is usually very good at keeping his discographies up to date but, with the exception of the Newport, I can't seem to spot the Chicago or Washington cropping up elsewhere.

http://www.wirz.de/music/wilkifrm.htm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »

Excellent memory Chris. From a section of the back page of the August 1990 Document catalogue.

CLICK TO ZOOM. Hope it's readable.

Thanks for posting that, Alan! That was the one I had. Probably still have it buried in a pile of old magazines somewhere...

Offline alyoung

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »
Stefan is usually very good at keeping his discographies up to date but, with the exception of the Newport, I can't seem to spot the Chicago or Washington cropping up elsewhere.

http://www.wirz.de/music/wilkifrm.htm

It was indeed a Document issue which mopped up Wilkins tracks issued on a variety of other sources. Re-united with my references, I find?

Glory Glory Hallelujah, Just a Closer Walk With Thee also on CBS (Columbia) S2BP-220205, Rare Gems (that might be an Australia/NZ issue; if so, dunno the US/UK issue)

Oh Lord I Want You To Help Me, I Wish I Was In Heaven Sitting Down ? Takoma TAK-7081, Rare Blues

The Gamblin? Man, Old Time Religion, Holy Ghost Train, I Wish I Was In Heaven ? Biograph BLP-12027, anthology This Old World's In a Hell of a Fix.

Don?t know any CD issue for the Columbia and Takoma tracks, but a CD version of BLP-12017 was on BCD-130, which dropped Holy Ghost Train and The Gamblin? Man, replacing them with Rock of Ages and When I Lay My Burden Down.

The Newport Folk Festival ones have also appeared elsewhere, with the exception of Thank You Jesus, and I have a vague memory that despite the Document LP listing the track, it wasn?t present on the album. Can anyone confirm or deny? (And if it?s deny? I need that track!!!)

Offline jostber

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
I have the Skip James release on Private Records: http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/181069378264/Private_Records__Skip_James_19641967__Limited_Edition

Would like to hear the Wilkins one as well.

Tags: Robert Wilkins 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal