collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I had to steal music from every which a way to get it... to get it to fit - Willie McTell, intro to The Dyin' Crapshooter's Blues, Last Sessions

Author Topic: Blind Willie McTell Discography  (Read 6264 times)

Offline CF

Re: Blind Willie McTell Discography
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 07:41:43 AM »
FWIW I recently bought a bunch of BWMcTell cds & boxes & now have a lot of doubled material on my hands . . . Although Snapper's new 6 Cd box set has standard liner notes & kinda annoying 'period' photos in the booklet (they apparently only got the rights to one Blind Willie photo) & on the cd slip cases (altho pretty attractive) it contains a whole lotta music for very little money (I payed less than $30.00 Canadian) & I've come to find that it contains ALL the music that is found on JSP's 1927-1940 box, Columbia's 'Definitive' 2 Cd set (which has some tunes JSP doesn't have) & all the songs found on 'Pig & Whistle Red'
PLUS an alternate take of 'Broke Down Engine No.2', 4-5 great Curley Weaver tracks from a '35 session with BWMcTell on 2nd guitar (I believe) & some extra tracks from the 'Pig & Whistle' sessions . . . meaning it is complete Willie (as far as I know) up to 1949/50 . . . 'Atlanta 12 String' & 'Last Sessions' & the 2 newly discovered songs on the 2008 Tefteller Calendar would round out his complete works . . .
The Snapper has full discographal notes & the sound is good to my ears altho' I may recall some skipping on certain songs in my half-drunken sleepy listenings, will have to relisten & report back 
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline CF

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 09:00:14 PM »
Relistening to the first CD of the set today confirmed that there are some glitches in at least my copy of the Snapper box set . . . There are no marks on the Cd but several of the songs have sudden loud, non-source static & 'Talkin' To Myself' & 'Razor Ball' even skip at one point each . . . the kind of noises I've heard on cheap Cds before . . . luckily, i have several copies of the glitchy songs so it's not the end of the world but buyer beware perhaps . . . Anybody else here bought this set & noticed these glitches? Still, a really cheap set & closer inspection shows that the set was compiled by Paul Swinton & Russell Beecher . . .
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »
Anybody else here bought this set & noticed these glitches? Still, a really cheap set & closer inspection shows that the set was compiled by Paul Swinton & Russell Beecher . . .
Beecher was one of the original owners of the Catfish enterprise.

boots

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 12:02:59 PM »
I bought this set and the tracks are misaligned on discs 5 & 6 and so won't import into iTunes.
I e-mailed them complaining about this a received an automated out-of-office reply suggesting two other people to ask. I forwarded it and failed to get a reply. So Snapper Music no longer exists for me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal