collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't want no woman if her hair ain't no longer than mine - Lightnin' Hopkins, Shorthaired Woman

Author Topic: Bristol Sessions travel article  (Read 801 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Bristol Sessions travel article
« on: August 19, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
Kind of a rambling read in my opinion, but worth a few minutes. Always good to see anything that sings the praises of the Carter Family and the Bristol Sessions in the mainstream media ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/19/travel/ken-burns-country-music.html

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Bristol Sessions travel article
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 09:36:54 AM »
Thank you, Lindy. It appears in the Travel section of the NY Times and the author is a freelance writer, so my take is that it is both an intro to the musical history of the area and also a narrative of her travel through the region woven together. If it gets people to visit the area and listen to the music, then so much the better.

"The tapes would become an inflection point in the history of what we now refer to as country music." Jeez, I didn't know Ralph Peer lugged around a tape recorder in addition to his disc cutter.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Bristol Sessions travel article
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 12:56:37 AM »
Since the demise of Weenie Juke Radio, I often listen to Radio Bristol Classic. Recommended. Also, Bristol is home to Bigtone Records, run by Jon Atkinson. He uses old style recording equipment and methods. Thomas8 of this parish recently recorded there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:59:43 AM by Prof Scratchy »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:29:06 AM »
Hi all,
I remember reading that the performer who recorded the most titles at the Bristol Sessions was neither future stars the Carter Family nor Jimmie Rodgers, but rather Alfred Karnes, who never recorded commercially again.  I sure wish he had, because I love his titles from those sessions.
All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »
Since the demise of Weenie Juke Radio, I often listen to Radio Bristol Classic. Recommended.

https://www.birthplaceofcountrymusic.org/radio/

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal