collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
RL, did you shoot him in self defense? No, I shot him in the leg and he jumped the fence - R.L. Burnside

Author Topic: Guitar Duets in Country Blues  (Read 14346 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: Guitar Duets in Country Blues
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »
Hi all

This is probably old news to most of you, but I've recently been enjoying the music of Walter Roland (who was perhaps better known as a pianist) and his playing partner Sonny Scott, who also played guitar on Roland's piano recordings, as well as some Lucille Bogan recordings, which the two accompanied.

Here's "Guitar Stomp" by the duo, which makes me think a lot of Big Bill Broonzy's tune called "Guitar Shuffle".

and the fun "Man, Man, Man":

Walter apparently recorded more as a pianist, but on his first session he recorded 3 solo songs, of which 2 were with guitar accompaniments, duplicating "Red Cross Blues" both as a piano and a guitar version. He has a kind of brushing style of playing, and in his "T-model Blues" has a solo guitar break as well.

Now off to study Sonny Scott!  :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
Hi all,
I was thinking about this topic and realized that some of my favorite country blues duets are the Hi Henry Brown cuts--"Preacher Blues",

Yes, I really like this one, great lyrics. A few years ago I started to arrange this tune for solo guitar. I'll hve to get back to it.

Alex

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »
Hi all,
Carl Martin's "Let's Have A Good Deal", for which he is joined by Willie B. James, is a rocking duet, with both players working out of E position in standard tuning.  It's also something of a "mystery title" since the title phrase appears nowhere in the song's lyrics--Carl Martin says, "Let's Have a NEW Deal" every time in his refrain.  The song can be found on the JSP set, "Ain't Times Hard".
All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal