collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left - Oscar Levant, as quoted in On the 8th Day — God Laughed (1995) by Gene Perret, p. 95

Author Topic: attaching MP3s of songs under discussion?  (Read 3126 times)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
attaching MP3s of songs under discussion?
« on: November 27, 2004, 08:44:26 AM »
Hey - I have a general question.  It stems from the fact that I have a much smaller collection of country blues music than I would like to, and than many of you seem to have.  As a result, I very often don't have and have never heard the tunes that people are talking about in the various threads. 

I know that a big part of the solution to this is that I need to build my collection, and I am.  Things that comes up here definitely get added to the list.  But this isn't very helpful in real time. 

I think it would be great if people starting a thread on a song could attach an MP3 of it.  Is this somehow not allowed, legally or what have you?  It could be partial, encoded at a low bit rate, etc, to keep it small.  Anything would really help those of us who are newer to the genre, and really enhance the Weenie experience. 

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: attaching MP3s of songs under discussion?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 10:10:00 AM »
Hi Tom,

Good question.? Here is our general philosophy on this (and as with any philosophy, there are a few grey areas).? Weenie Campbell's mission is: "To Promote Country Blues through Education and Performance (and to eat good barbeque)".? So, we encounrage folks to post MP3's in order to figure out lyrics or licks.... e.g. if the posting has some instructional or educational value.? We discourage folks (by not allowing it) the posting of MP3's in order to fill out one's collection.? We don't want to become a MP3 'Swap Shop' - it is not really a part of our mission.? Another reason is website space and server resources.? In order to keep costs reasonable, our hosted website server is shared with others and we have a limited amount of space.? All posted MP3's must be less than 800K (controlled by the forum software) -- and if we start running our of web space, the posted MP3's (in date order) will be targeted for removal.?

If you want a real time solution in order to become more familiar with the genre or the songs that are discussed in the forums - use Weenie Juke.? Weenie Juke has a liberal request policy, you can request up top 4 titles an hour and 10 titles per day.? Two songs are kept in the queue at all times - so the wait for requests is usually less than 10 minutes.??Weenie Juke has a powerful search facility making it fast and easy to locate songs.? We've put quite a bit of effort and expense, including purchasing a BMI broadcasting license, so we hope that folks use and support the Juke as it represents the highest overhead costs on Weenie Campbell. Not as convenient having a CD or MP3 in your possesion - but it might help you make a better purchase.?

We also consider it part of our mission to encourage folks to go out and buy Country Blues CD's.? While our Buy links point to Amazon (because we can earn a small commission to help fund the Juke) we also encourage you to buy from small Record Companies and small Record Retailers.? We provide prominent links to companies like Arhoole, Fat Possum etc -- because without some of these small companies talking a chance on a genre that is not very popular or profitable - we wouldn't have some of the great music we have today.? So, we all continue to build our collections.

Maybe a little more than you wanted to know :) but thanks for your understanding!?

Cheers,
slack

Edited to add:? I make it sound like I am in charge here, but that is not entirely true.? There is a group of long time Weenies that help guide the direction of Weenie Campbell - so, much of our direction and philosophy is formed by committee.? I'm not big on committees - but I'm grateful to the "Steering Committee" for their feedback and guidance - it's worked pretty well so far.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 05:29:48 PM by Johnm »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 10:45:14 AM »
Now if I'd read that before I posted in the Circle of Fifths thread, Slack, I would have saved myself about a half hour or so of finagling someone else's computer (well, at least it's a Mac) into shrinking an mp3 down to size. I could have just pointed Tom to the Juke. Now I'm gonna go edit my post to do just that and save us a little space.
As always, "Thanks", to you and the "Steering Committee" for all your efforts.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 11:07:38 AM »
Hi JohnC, Yes, a good use of the Juke!

Which reminds me, at the risk of getting too technical, space limitations apply to the website, not the Juke - Weenie Juke is on different machine (one sitting in my computer room) as opposed to the limited space machine hosting our website (our host is Powweb is in California). 

JohnC, you're welcome!

slack

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 02:23:15 PM »
That's great info.  Thanks very much for the thorough reply!  I am only just becoming familiar with lots of things Weenie, like the great expanse of request possibilities on the Juke.  I'll be using that more...

I am totally on the page about not wanting to undermine the people who get paid for recording and distributing music - I would never want to see Weenie become a song swap either.

tom

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 07:42:19 PM »
Hi all,
This thread has been languishing deep in the Main Forum and it makes some points that may not have been made elsewhere, so I thought I would revive it and move it.
All best,
Johnm

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal