collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't killed nobody, my picture ain't in the post office - John Jackson, in a workshop with Orville and John Cephas, 1998

Author Topic: How Do You Fingerpick Fast Lead Lines?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
How Do You Fingerpick Fast Lead Lines?
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »
I'm wondering about the different ways that players fingerpick sections in songs with fast lead lines.  I'm thinking of songs with fast single-line solo sections, such as some tunes by Scrapper Blackwell or Rev. Gary Davis.  I'm mainly thinking of players who only use thumb and index (as did most early blues guitarists).  Do some players pick all the high notes with just an index, or the fast bass lines with only the thumb?  I know that Wes Montgomery played his fast solo lines with just his thumb.  But how about country blues players?  Or do players nearly always alternate thumb and index when playing these fast single-line solos?

As an adjunct to this question, I'm wondering how using picks affects this way of playing.  It seems like it would be easier to alternate thumb and index on the same string when using picks.  I play with bare fingers, and it is difficult to alternate rapidly on a single string between thumb and index.  But then this is a new technique for me and I may just need to practice it.  Any advice or sharing of your experiences on this topic would be most appreciated!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: How Do You Fingerpick Fast Lead Lines?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
Hi big joe,
I much prefer to do fast runs all with my thumb rather than alternating thumb and index finger.  I've never liked the sound I get from that kind of alternation, though I've heard other people, like Frank Basile, do it and sound great.  With the thumb, unless the passage is super-fast, I can usually do all down-strokes, but going up and down with the thumb for really fast passages works just fine.  If you want to see someone other than Wes Montgomery who was amazingly adroit with using the thumb for fast runs, look at the films of Buddy Moss at Berea College, which can be found in the Down the Dirt Road board.  If you click on the link in this post:  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9654.msg81979#msg81979 , and then do an advanced search for Buddy Moss when you get where you're going, you should get Buddy performing seven songs.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:32:36 PM by Johnm »

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 06:55:25 AM »
Thanks a ton for that insight John!  When you go up and down with your thumb, do you hold your thumb and index finger together (as if holding a pick) for stability?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »
I do both myself, though can only dream of getting close to playing like John or Frank. For bass runs I will often use the thumb and just downstrokes. But I'd say that having been working on some Rev. Gary Davis stuff of late, I am doing a lot more thumb and index, and having a lot of fun with it. But I'm just  trying to make the notes and not yet at the point where I'm finessing the tone.

John Jackson used to do fast bass runs with his thumb only, catching the upstrokes with the back of his thumb. It was cool to watch, hard to replicate for me.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
Hi big joe,
No, I don't support the thumb with the index when I go up and down with it.  Sometimes I will support the index with the thumb if I want to snap some runs in the treble with the index.
All best,
Johnm

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
Thanks for the excellent tips John and Uncle Bud!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »
I always alternate thumb and index finger as Gary Davis did. I do it with or without picks. It never occurred to me to try and do it thumb only. I'll have to look at those Buddy Moss films again.
You could also have a look at Freddie King videos to see what he does as a bare fingered fingerpicker. Willie Walker, as was famously reported by Josh White, used all his fingers on all the strings.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 01:59:17 PM »
I play with bare fingers, and it is difficult to alternate rapidly on a single string between thumb and index.  But then this is a new technique for me and I may just need to practice it.  Any advice or sharing of your experiences on this topic would be most appreciated!
Thanks for this topic, I?m just struggling with such a part in Blake?s Too Tight where milliseconds after a thumb roll on 1st/2nd strings you are forced to get the thumb up there towards the 6th/5th/4th for this gggggggggfdcbcfed thing. For ages I?ve been trying this with middle+index finger until I have given the Gary Davis approach at least a try and now it?s getting better (i.e. louder) every day :)
You canīt trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
Thanks O'Muck for the tips.

Has there been anyone who has picked fast lead lines with just the index moving up and down?  In listening to Lonnie Johnson's "Playing With the Strings" I wondered if he did that in some parts with the thumb comping rhythm?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:06:58 PM by big joe weems »

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 12:34:10 AM »
Not CB, but mandolinist Kenny Hall uses just a fingernail, as I do upon occasion.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline finn

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »
It's possible to use banjo rolls ala Jerry Reed to play fast single lines.

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 11:42:20 AM »
Not really sure, but banjo rolls normally use more fingers than just thumb and index, right?  I'm wondering how the early blues players achieved speed with just thumb and index.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:47:52 AM by big joe weems »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal