collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Arthur Petties, Freddie Spruell, Romeo Nelson, Doug Suggs -- these are only a few of the blues singers known on record and in discographies to blues enthusiasts, whose rediscovery has not been followed by recording sessions, for they have forgotten all they knew, and hear with disbelief the records they made as young men. - "The Future of the Blues", Blues Off the Record, Paul Oliver

Author Topic: miking/pickup on a 12string - Help!  (Read 2487 times)

Sugar Mamas Son

miking/pickup on a 12string - Help!
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:47:27 AM »
Greetings!

I've been playing live with a Fraulini Francesca and been using a small diaphragm condenser mic with varying degrees of success.

I'm thinking about fitting a pickup and using it along with the mic for a more stable sound. Does anyone have any recommendations for good pickups or any useful live set up tips from their own experience?

The major manufacturers don't seem that clued-up about long-scale 12strings and sound engineers at venues don't really know what to do with one...

Thanks for your help, guys!!
David

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: miking/pickup on a 12string - Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:58:45 AM »
I've managed to get good live sound from my Angelina 12 using an AKG C1000. I've tried a Fishman soundhole pickup but could not live with the sound. Have you thought of putting your mic out through a small EQ unit so that you can tailor your own sound a little?

Sugar Mamas Son

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:51:28 AM »
Thanks for that; what about mic placement? Any tips? I've been going for 45' around the neck/body join area thus far...

I fully expected the p'up sound to be hard to live with. They always sound pretty naff.

I live in London btw, I see from your myspace you're in my neck of the woods? I help run www.bluesinlondon.com which might be of interest to you.

Cheers
David

Offline Big River

• jamesclem.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 08:02:34 AM »
I really like the K & K Pure Western system that mounts under the bridge plate on just about any acoustic guitar. It has a very woody, natural balance without that weird "quackiness" that most under the saddle pickups have. The only flaw I have found is a very slight roll off on the top end, but that just be on my guitar (a late 1930's Gibson L-OO). You can compensate for this roll off by EQing it up just a tad on the top end. I played a gig recently sharing a bill with another player who had an under the saddle Highlander pickup on a similar '30's Gibson L-OO and the K & K just sounded way more natural, retaining the acoustic tone.
I also use a AKG C1000s condenser mic that the previous thread mentioned  (I use it for my National resonator guitars that have no pickup) and it adds a bit of acoustic air to the overall sound, but if I had my choice between the microphone or the K & K I would go with the K & K as it has a more immediate, crisper response than just the microphone (and more volume without feedback). That AKG mic works great for a resonator guitar as those reso's put out a lot of volume, but I have a little difficulty getting the sound I want on a regular acoustic with just the microphone. Amplifying a twelve string really should not be any different than a six string.
One nice thing about the K & K is that they are very reasonable...my local guitar shop charges $150 including installation! You can't beat that. It sounds best with a preamp, but it actually sounds pretty good without one, which is pretty amazing.
That Fraulini 12 string is a wonderful guitar. A friend of mine has one and he has let me borrow it for recording. I love it! If you go to my My Space music page listed below you can hear it on the track where I play Blind Willie McTell's "Mama "Tain't Long For Day" (in G tuning, tuned down two steps in pitch) and there are even a couple of photos of me playing it on that space. Those guitars are featherlight and have a wonderful response. I plan on on ordering one when my finances improve. Hope this info helps.
James Clem
www.jamesclem.com
www.myspace.com/clemjames

Tags: pickups 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal