collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I saw Johnny Shines with Robert Lockwood in London many years ago - a two night stint. At the end of the second night, some fool in the audience shouts, "Johnny Shines, you are a sexist!" Shines says, "What?" Guy repeats it. Shines says, "Texas? I don't know nothing about Texas." Collapse of interlocutor - Johnny Shines, by Chris Smith on prewarblues list, Bunker Hill, also present, dates it Sunday 28th October 1979

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 221407 times)

jacksmart

Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2005, 09:53:02 AM »
Hi I am Jack (New Member). I am 56 years old and teach
computers in a public school in West Virginia. I have been
playing guitar since I was very young. I love blues, country,
and early rock.
Jack

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2005, 10:16:07 AM »
Welcome Jack!

Thanks for the introduction.  We also have an introduction Topic called "When the Roll is Called" and would be happy if more new folks would introduce themselves using that topic. (I'll move your introduction there are some point Jack.)

Very happy to have you new members!

Cheers,
Slack

downthedirtroad

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2005, 03:44:57 PM »
hello everybody,
My name is David, I'm 23 and hail from Toronto Canada.

I have gotten into pre-war country blues pretty heavily over the past couple years (2002 to be exact, with the purchase of Charlie Patton (yazoo) - the best of, Robert Johnson - Complete Recordings and Blind Willie Johnson - Dark was the night compliation).? I have since expanded my collection rapidly (highlights include revenant's american primitive vol.1, mississippi john hurt complete okeh recordings 1929 and charlie patton complete recordings (JSP) ), and have been concurrently learning how to play blues guitar (esp. fingerpicking) in open tunings, along with listening to such finger pickers as john fahey.? As my taste in acoustic blues has expanded, my listening has become more obscure.? Currently I have actively been searching out recordings by King Solomon Hill, Bo Weavil Jackson (Sam Butler) and Rev. Edward Clayborn (although his recordings are somewhat repetitive).? I have ordered "Times ain't like they used to be" vols. 6&7 from yazoo, and am awaiting them; does anyone have any reviews or comments about those albums?? I? am quite curious to hear the recently unearthed king solomon hill tracks, along with the tommy johnson country test pressing ("I want somebody to love me").? It is great to find a website like this on the internet, and the juke radio portion has almost been on constant rotation since i stepped upon this site.

Kudos
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 03:47:24 PM by downthedirtroad »

boots

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2005, 04:18:28 PM »
Great to have a youngster on board who'll be able to shout the message when us old fogeys are not around.

Boots

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2005, 04:31:56 PM »
Welcome David!  You sound like a Weenie to me!   ;D

I  am quite curious to hear the recently unearthed king solomon hill tracks, along with the tommy johnson country test pressing ("I want somebody to love me").  It is great to find a website like this on the internet, and the juke radio portion has almost been on constant rotation since i stepped upon this site.

These can be requested from the Juke.  Do an Album search for "Blue Images" (no quotes) and you'll get a track listing for both of the Blues Images Calendar CD's .. which contain your two tracks.

Cheers,
slack

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2005, 01:57:20 PM »
I've been hanging around here about a week now so though I ought to add myself to the roll call...

I'm Simon and I live in Norfolk, England, wihch (so far as I can tell) is a blues wilderness, bar a chap called Chris Steinhauer who sometimes busks in my local town.

I had classical guitar lessons as a child, and dabbled ineffecitvely in flamenco in my late teens.  I developed a taste for BB King whilst at University, and then had a 'eureka' moment listening to the Paul Jones show on BBC radio. He played Chris Smither's version of 'High Heeled Sneekers' which blew me away.  I bought his albums, went to his gigs and discovered that a lot of his playing was inspired by that of John Hurt and Lightnin Hopkins (as well as Dylan...).  From there my interest grew, and I started buying acoustic blues guitar books, got myself a proper steel string acoustic... and here I am 7 years later, still trying to make it sound right!

Favourite contemporary players are Smither, Ben Andrews, David Jacobs- Strain, Alvin Hart etc 

I'm still developing my collection of older stuff and have a big Amazon wish list of old country blues cds...  So far, I am particularly keen on Patton, Broonzy, Blake, John Hurt, Son House and Tampa Red, but the list is growing all the time.

PS-

I picked the handle 'Norfolk Slim' because Norfolk is as unblues a place as you will find, and yet still sounds like somehwhere Rbert Johnson might have driven to from Memphis...  The 'slim' bit is irony ;)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2005, 02:15:55 PM »
Welcome Simon!  Thanks for your introduction - we seem to have an ever increasing contingent from 'across the pond'.  And 'Norfolk Slim' sounds like a fine blues name.

Don't feel left out - there are Blues Wildernesses' everywhere - that's why we started WC.

Cheers,
slack

Offline rick218

• Howdy!
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2005, 07:34:13 AM »
Hello ,   My name is Rick ,I live in Hastings UK , I have been collecting country blues records since 1963.
             The first people I  listen to were Sonny Terry, Brownie Mcgee, Lightning Hopkins.  I play guitar a bit ,but mainly I make acoustic guitars usually the small type that the blues players used in the thirties.
   In Hastings we have a very good music scene with a lot of blues, one country blues player Roger Hubbard a friend of mine is a excellent slide player and finger picker, he made a album for Blue Goose in the early seventies.
 The site was recomended to us by Willie Saloman  a brilliant German country blues player.
 Really like the site and juke box.      Cheers for now    Rick

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2005, 07:44:43 AM »
Welcome Rick!

I'm sure many of us would like to see the guitars you build - we have a few "Country Blues" builders (could be a whole new specialty) - do you have any photos or maybe a website that has your work?

Thanks for the intro and kind words,
Slack

Offline southernpicker

• Howdy!
    • L.B. Arnold
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2005, 07:39:54 PM »
Hi,
Hector Guerrero , 33 , from Spain. I got involved in country blues since about 10-12 years ago, i got a Cd by Memphis early pickers and got hooked with Frank Stokes. I thought i would never be able to play that great guitar. Searching on the internet a few years ago, i met another spanish picker called Artur Nadal who introduced me to Stefan Grossman's site... this and Homespun are my main sources to learn and i get as much music as my wallet allows me  ;)

Favorite players, Blind Blake, MJH, Big Bill Broonzy, Merle Travis, Furry Lewis, Barbacue Bob, Charley Jordan... and the list goes on and on

I also play rhythm guitar and sing in the band "Little Boy Arnold & His Western Okies" an accoustic rockabilly trio, we are going to play in April in a big festival in Green Bay , Wi.

You can see and listen to us at

http://www.myspace.com/littleboyarnoldamphiswesternokies

I discovered Weenie Campbell thru S. Grossman's woodshed, and i'm fascinated with the topics, radio... you really do an amazing job.

Best wishes for 2005
Héctor Guerrero
Got the blues, can't be satisfied

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2005, 07:48:33 PM »
Welcome Héctor!  Glad you found us and the Rockabilly band looks and sounds like lots of fun!

Cheers,
Slack

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2005, 09:07:34 AM »
Isn't that great, we'll soon have a UK branch, chapter, association, whatever :D
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2005, 05:46:32 PM »
The 'slim' bit is irony ;)

On that basis, I should probably change my handle to FrontPage Slim! Welcome to Weeniedom.
 8)
Cheers,
FrontPage

jim_g

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2005, 07:17:51 PM »
Just like you, I am a newly discovered weenie, and a Texas weenie at that...of the Austin variety.  I signed on for the first time today after seeing a link in my Acoustic Guitar Wire newsletter, which is put out by Acoustic Guitar magazine.  I 'spect there'll be a surge in the weenie population over the next few days/weeks! 

Weenies Unite!!!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2005, 08:33:23 PM »
Welcome jim_g! Just out of curiosity, what did the AG wire have to say?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal