collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If anybody asks you, butcher man, where have you been? Show 'em that long-bladed knife; tell 'em you been butcherin' out in the slaughter pen - Memphis Minnie, My Butcher Man

Author Topic: Sidemen: Long Road to Glory Documentary  (Read 636 times)

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Sidemen: Long Road to Glory Documentary
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
Hi all,
I searched the forum to see if anyone had mentioned this documentary before but I don't see it so thought I'd share.

Here's a lengthy blurb from the film's site http://www.sidemenfilm.com/

"In the summer of 2008, a group of legendary bluesmen, some of the last surviving members of the Howlin? Wolf and Muddy Waters bands, were brought together by director Scott Rosenbaum for a cameo appearance in his feature film, The Perfect Age of Rock ?n? Roll.  Pinetop Perkins, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith and Hubert Sumlin were cast for their authenticity and ability to underscore the film?s critical subplot, the evolution of rock ?n? roll through the blues.  During breaks in production, these bluesmen thrilled Rosenbaum with their tales of a lifetime spent on the road.  First hand accounts of experiences with the mythical Robert Johnson, the larger-than-life Howlin? Wolf, the seminal Muddy Waters and disciples such as Jimi Hendrix and The Rolling Stones got the director?s creative wheels spinning.  Between takes, Sumlin called Rosenbaum over to the bandstand and prophetically told him of his feeling that they would be working together again.  In an instant, an idea that had been germinating with the director for years took root."

It doesn't appear to be online yet but there are some screenings coming up:
http://www.sidemenfilm.com/screenings

Offline alyoung

Re: Sidemen: Long Road to Glory Documentary
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 05:22:08 AM »
Featuring Greg Allman, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, Johnny Winter, Bonnie Rait ... glad they've got some of the really important blues players. It's a habit that really pisses me off -- wheeling in the big white bloooze stars to say how great the old black player is/was. People like Pinetop Perkins, Hubert Sumlin or Willie Smith don't need rock-star endorsement to confirm their greatness; that's already been done by their own playing. (And Bonamassa? Isn't he the one who doesn't like black blues and bases his playing on the British bluz stars? Did someone have to tell him who Hubert Sumlin was?)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Sidemen: Long Road to Glory Documentary
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
Joe Bonamassa released 2 excellent tribute dvd's (muddy and the wolf, the 3 kings).
Normally it isn't my type of blues but I really enjoyed it.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal