collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I saw some cross-eyed people, I saw a man was so cross-eyed that when he cried tears ran down his back. I saw a man, Bill, with his eyes so near the top of his head, when he get ready to see he had to pull off his hat - Sonny Boy Williamson on cross-eyed people

Author Topic: Can you help me track down this song?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Desperate Stevens

• Mmh hmh
Can you help me track down this song?
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:43:15 PM »
Does anyone know of a song by Alberta Hunter that goes:
The love I have for you
Makes my burdens light
The love I have for you
Makes my blue days bright
Asleep or awake dear, your face I see
The sunshine of your smile is a guide for me
The love I have for you
Isn't in my heart
The love I have for you
Is a thing set apart
You may search this universe
But my dear if you do
You'll never find a love like
The love I have for you

I'm looking for the recording.  If you can help with info, it'd be appreciated. Thanks!
Shelley

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Re: Can you help me track down this song?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 03:03:58 PM »
Is this it The Love I Have for You?

From a interview with Dick Cavett

Thank you. Now a song I wrote for Robert Altman's new picture, Remember my Name, starring Geraldine Chaplin and Tony Perkins. The title of the picture is Remember My Name and the title of the song is The Love I Have for You.

I never fret, or worry, no time am I blue. I spend my days rejoicing because of the love that I have for you. The love I have for you makes my burdens light. The' love I have for you makes my blue days bright. Asleep or awake, dear, your face I see. Sunshine of your smile is a guide for me. The love I have for you is within my heart. The love I have for you is a thing set apart. You can search and search again from end to end through and through. You'll never find a love like the love I have for you. The love I have for you is within my heart. The love I have for you is a thing set apart. You can search the universe, but my dear if you do you'll never find a love like the love I have for you. I wanted to swing castle a couple more chorsus.

Almost forgot the link: Alberta Hunter

It is on the Document Alberta Hunter "Beale Street Blues"
Complete Recorded Works, Vol. 4 (1927-46)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 03:33:18 PM by NotRevGDavis »
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 06:10:48 PM »
Great Movie BTW. Perkins is the straight guy, a carpenter, and Chaplin is the psycho. Alberta sang the whole sound track as I remember and I was inspired to go see her at the Cookery in NYC where she sang for years and years, She was still pretty amazing.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Desperate Stevens

• Mmh hmh
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »
Thanks guys!  That's a big help.
Merry Xmas too!
Shelley

It's the end of December and I still miss everybody....

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:54:20 AM »
There's a nice story told in the book 'Alberta Hunter: A Celebration In Blues' (McGraw Hill, 1987) concerning Robert Altman's attempt at obtaining an AA for 'The Love I Have For You', it runs thus:

"...Altman rushed to show the film [Remember My Name] in Los Angeles before the end of the year so it could qualify for the year's Academy Awards. He thought their biggest chance to win an Oscar was for Alberta's song, "The Love I Have For You," which she led them to believe she had written just for the film. After all their effort to promote the song for an award, the Academy advised them it was disqualified because it had been recorded in 1940 by one Alberta Hunter.

"Why didn't you tell us it was an old song?" [Alan] Rudolph asked her.

"I guess I just forgot," she said. "I think I found it in a trunk. But it was a real song!"

Tags: Alberta Hunter 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal