collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We knows nothing much about the blues... we called it blues, we called it breakdowns, we called it blues and some people say it's square dances... We didn't know what it was; the achin'-hearted blues is slow, breakdowns is fast - Percy Thomas, who played in the Son Simms Four with Muddy Waters, interviewed by Paul Oliver, from Blues Off The Record

Author Topic: RIP Eddie Cusic  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
RIP Eddie Cusic
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:17:46 AM »
I am very sorry to report that my old friend Eddie Cusic, a Delta bluesman many of you know from his residency at Port T and from his recordings, died Aug. 11 at home after a short illness. He was 89.
Cusic was an electric-blues bandleader in the 1950s in Greenville, Mississippi, and Little Milton was among his bandmates. Cusic pretty much dropped out of music for several decades, to raise a family and work a regular job at a quarry near his home in Leland. When he returned to music in the late 1980s it was as a solo acoustic bluesman, a role that he assumed with great aplomb. His last public appearance was at the Juke Joint Festival in Clarksdale in April.
Here is some biographical info on himhttp://www.arts.state.ms.us/folklife/artist.php?dirname=cusic_eddie and here is a recording
He had a great look to match his fierce music. I always thought Eddie would have been perfect for a Hollywood movie -- he was the essence of Delta bluesman. He also is the source from whom I learned the term "hohoppin'." Great character, great musician. They ain't making them like him anymore.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: RIP Eddie Cusic
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
Chezz, I'm sorry for your loss. I remember when, as the Hohoppas Jug Band, we played the Portland Waterfront Blues Festival and you introduced me to Eddie. I could tell by the way you two bantered with each other that there were some good times together in your past. Sad indeed, a great player and singer.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Chezz.  It's hard to lose a friend.  Condolences to Eddie's family and friends.
All best,
Johnm

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »
Eddie Cusic's "Gonna Cut You Loose" on the 1980 collection "Living Country Blues USA, Vol. 2: Blues on Highway 61," is a real highlight. Great performance. Really like the sound he got from the electric guitar and wish he had more songs recorded at that time.
Jeff

Tags: Eddie Cusic 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal