collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
They have a full-figured dry goods store specializing in large sizes, with stockings up to size 200. Wow! Under the same roof is Miss Louise's Typing Service. She can do letterheads, obituaries, funeral directories, term papers. She's a wonderful person. Go tell her you heard about her on the radio - Early Wright, obituary to the DJ, WROX Clarksdale

Linked Events

• Country Blues @ Jalopy Theatre: September 19, 2010

Author Topic: Sunday September 19 - Pat Conte, Joe Bellulovich, the Little Brothers @ Jalopy  (Read 1677 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Brooklyn, NY: Mighty Joe Bellulovich, Pat Conte and the Little Brothers return the the Jalopy Theatre on Sunday, September 19th. The music starts at 8PM.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
I wanna see a packed house Weenies! ;)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Another grand show. Frank & Kim were, of course Frank & Kim except Frank's new Maple Todd Cambio guitar sounds like a goddamned piano! Kim's singing just gets better n' better, and as always her fiddle playing is tops. Frank's playing particularly with the "big Band" was snappy, fast, felt & fab! Pat Conte really got on top of his game tonight turning in a fantastically great performance. He sang two songs culled from George Mitchell recordings that were just about perfect, both in his guitar playing and his vocals which seemed on a whole other level then at anytime I've heard him over the past thirty years. He was just awesome. Joe Bellulovitch was on hand doing what, as far as I know, only he can do this well, the lost art of country blues harp replete with whoops, moans, squawks and hollers. He also played driving guitar blues sung with power and emotion which make him a one stop, one man blues juggernaut. I invited my new friend Jeff Cheeger who is a pal of Ernie Hawkins' and a good player himself to the show and he was flabbergasted by how good it was. The sad thing is there were only about 15 people in the audience to hear it! I think this calls for a Weenie intervention...or convention, there is a motel nearby.... ;D

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Always like to read your reviews O'Muck, especially as we Limeys over the Pond can't get to these gigs. How sad that there was only a handful of people to see and hear these great performers.

Speaking as someone who has a hand in organising occasional gigs, I can tell you that by far the best publicity is word-of-mouth, talking to people individually and bullying them into attending. The second best is having a mailing list. All other forms of publicity are hard to quantify, but I reckon that posters, space ads, radio spots, etc. generally generate no interest whatsoever.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
15 people is not enough for some of the most authentic players of this music out there (though is probably 1/3 capacity at the Jalopy  ;D). Sunday night a factor? I'm eight hours away (no excuse, I know!) but intend to get in for one of these shows as soon as I can. Ah well. As an old Weenie once said, "you can make dozens of dollars playing country blues."

I know Jalopy has an email list (at least in theory, I'm not on it so don't know if it's active) and promotes stuff on Facebook intermittently.

Offline CF

It is surprising that only 15 people in NYC would attend such a show! And I hear there's no good music stores (CD-RECORDS, etc.) in NY anymore???
Sounded like a wonderful night tho'.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
I think the big issue is the location of the club which is hard to get to via public transit. I always drive there. What I'd like to see the club owners do is set up some kind of Pub crawl bus as has been done in other parts of the city and other cities, and trawl for souls near NYU & Columbia. My first attempt at discussing this with one of the principals didn't seem to get any traction but maybe I'll give it another shot. When the Museum of Modern Art was temporarily headquartered in Queens, they ran buses from midtown out there and other venues, eg. Ikea have done the same.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Thanks for the report Mr. O'Muck.

Sounds like another wonderful evening of music! If the audience was small, that only speakes for the better of the commitment of the artists! Any upcoming videos to comfort us Oversea Bluesers?
Maybe a European tour would create some hustle and bustle in the business? If so, Berlin obviously can't be overlooked!  :P

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
BTW Mike NY still has J&R music world which is pretty comprehensive. Also many excellent used CD, LP, book shops including hundreds of street vendors selling the libraries (musical & literary) of the dead and dispossessed which in my neighborhood (Upper West Side) are as impressive as you're likely to find anywhere in the world.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal