collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She was really an ugly woman... but when she opened her mouth - that was it! You forgot everything. She knew how to sing those blues, and she got right into your heart. What a personality she had. One of the greatest of all singers - Champion Jack Dupree quoted in Ma Rainey and The Classic Blues Singers, Derrick Stewart-Baxter

Author Topic: Trying to buy Curley Weaver complete recordings or 1933-35 frustration...  (Read 2041 times)

Offline LB

• Ga
Anyone know where I can definetely buy the Curley Weaver 1933-35 recordings or complete recordings. I keep ordering from sites and they refund my money due to out of stock. Then to make things more confusing Amazon lists one of the CDs as 99.00 dollars. See this page. I think it's a mistake.
Amazon Page on 1933-35 Click Here

Now I have a CD that I think is 1928-33 and has Sweet Petunia on track 1, NoNoBlues track 2. I also have a Blind Willie and Curley Weaver Pig and Whistle CD and then a 4 cd green Atlanta Blues boxset with many artists. I need everything else on Curley Weaver.

Thanks for tips, links. I really tried to solve this myself before asking.

LB

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Hi LB,

Document can sure be frustrating with the out of stock situation these days. The stuff does seem to come back into stock eventually but it can take a long time. For some but not all of the 1933-35 recordings of Curley Weaver. you may want to look for the Story of Blues CD "Curley Weaver: Georgia Guitar Wizard. 1928-35" CD 3530-2. This is one of those off-Document CDs, and is itself hard to find as far as I know. It is on the Juke as well. We've got a hole in our Curley inventory on the Juke which you've identified. I know that Tricks Ain't Walkin' No More is also "available" on the out-of-print but still occasionally findable Catfish 2-CD compilation East Coast Blues.

Edited to add the Catfish title...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:15:14 PM by uncle bud »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
The Document website currently lists this CD as "Available as Download Only".  You can buy the download at emusic.com:

http://www.emusic.com/album/10863/10863918.html

Actually, I see they offer a free trial, so you can probably get the download for free.  I haven't used emusic.com and so can't vouch for what you'll get from them.  I assume it's just mp3s.  Coincidentally, I emailed Document last week inquiring about the possibility of getting a pdf or some other printable file of the booklet for downloads from emusic, and also asking about their plans for making some of the "download only" titles available again on CD.  I've had no response yet.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Just realized that most (all?) of Curley Weaver's prewar stuff is on the JSP box set, Atlanta Blues, which also has the complete Peg Leg Howell, plus Julius Daniels and others. Worth getting for sure if you don't have much of this material.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
It looks like the JSP box has all of Curley Weaver's extant recordings, both prewar and postwar.  I'll second Uncle Bud's recommendation.  If you are interested in prewar Atlanta blues and you don't already have the majority of this stuff, run out and get this box right now.

Orb Mellon

FYI, You can also get the Curley Weaver 1933-35 on I-Tunes. All the hoopla generated on this forum reminded me that I didn't know enough about Curley so I downloaded it last night. Quite excellent indeed.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Trying to buy Curley Weaver complete recordings or 1933-35 frustration...
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »
I just picked up the JSP box set mentioned above, Atlanta Blues: Big City Blues From The Heartland. Fills several gaps in my collection and I'm looking forward to thrashing it to death on the iPod this coming week.

Offline natterjack

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 01:05:38 AM »
All the tracks on the document disc 1933 - 1935 are definitely on the JSP. I have both :o

Offline CF

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 09:19:18 AM »
I'll be looking for one of these options: the 5 tracks I have from a '35 session (I believe with BW McTell on second guitar) are just great. 'Tricks Ain't Walking No More' is a real fresh-sounding take on a tired old progression, he had a very melodious & inventive approach to his vocal lines . . . & I've loved 'No No Blues' for years.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:17:38 PM »
FYI, You can also get the Curley Weaver 1933-35 on I-Tunes. All the hoopla generated on this forum reminded me that I didn't know enough about Curley so I downloaded it last night. Quite excellent indeed.

Tons of that CD's tracks on iTunes are mis-labeled.

I remember early this year I made a big ol' fuss about that, both Curley's and Sylvester Weaver's Document albums are that way.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 12:18:53 PM by mississippijohnhurt1928 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal