collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A musicianer, he's not got as many men friends as he has women, and sometimes the only men friends he has is other musicianers, or a man who ain't got no woman - David Honeyboy Edwards, from his bio

Author Topic: Patton Book?  (Read 3041 times)

Offline wreid75

Re: Patton Book?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »
Sorry for blowing up the board, last one I promise.  I love the fact that there are so many sources for Charley Patton with more to come.  I hope more bios will enter the pipeline for the other artists.  One thing to remember, to the population at large Patton is no more famous now than Roosevelt Sykes, Peetie Wheatstraw, and Joe Holmes.  The roadblocks of writing a book and getting it published through major publishing houses are very real, but now there are alternatives.  Maybe blues researchers will finally take to the web like other kinds of books and publish electronically instead of print.  No reason to let a dream die nowadays.  I may be wrong but who wouldn't buy a blues book for download especially knowing that writers often receive more money this way.

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
Come Home Charley Patton by Ralph Lemon is a book that is out.  Has anyone read this?

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
Our library system has several copies--one in the local branch. I'll try to remember to pick it up the next time I'm there. Based on what I've read however, it appears to be more of a personal memoir than a book about CP. But we'll see once I get my grubby little mitts on a copy and have a chance to eyeball it in the flesh.

FYI: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/28/arts/dance/28wave.html

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
Picked it up this morning and browsed through it. It is not a book about Charley Patton. That does not mean that it's not worth reading as it looks quite interesting, IMHO. Read what you can find about it on the Web and if that piques your interest, get a copy through your local library.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »
I am in the process of reading "In Tune: Charley Patton, Jimmy Rogers and roots of American Music."  I am at page 70 and I have learned less about these two men than an abbreviated wiki page.  I have been retaught about life in the south during that time and reeducated on tensions between blacks and whites, something I had  yet to forget seeing as I live in the south.  I have yet to determine who this book was written for.  If it is for students to teach them about the south then the first 70 pages are kind of, in a way, somewhat, maybe, sort of on target.  If it is about teaching students about the singers, the first 70 pages have failed miserably.  Calt/Wardlow would be a much better pick for Patton.  If this book was written for those of us who love to read about country blues singers then I hope it gets a lot better.  There is no new information in the first 70 pages that can't be gleaned from a multitude of online sources.  I will post a follow up as I plow through this thing. 

Offline hardtimekillingfloor

• Howdy!
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
I finished InTune last week and I have a more substantial complaint.  That is the toughest paper I have ever had to use.  It is the pure definition of John Wayne,  rough and tough and wont take $#!T off no one.  Should have made the paper softer.  That said I am excited that Wardlow has a new Patton book coming out with Ed Komara!  More Wardlow and less Calt will vastly improve King of the Delta blues.

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »
It is the pure definition of John Wayne,  rough and tough and wont take $#!T off no one.

Stop being a Richard.  No point in it.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »
I am mostly done with the In Tune Charley Patton Jimmy Rogers book.  This is the thing.  If this is for students taking a class in school to compare and contrast the two and learn basic info on both singers it is an okay book.  There is more info in Faheys book  and this is a far cry from the Calt Wardlow book and David Evans essays on Patton.  IF you already know a little bit about Patton and how oppressive the south was back then and how it ended up that way then you don't need to read this book.  If you really want to know about race relations, the south cast system, jim crow, and southern history or want to really know about both singers you don't need to read this book.  There are much better books.  If  you want to know a little about this but just a taste then okay I guess the book is alright.  Unless the final few pages contain a map leading to a secret location where the unissued masters of Patton.s recordings accompanied by Patton's own personal diary filled with his inner most thoughts are located then this was an unnecessary book to read.  On the flip side I finally got a copy of Voice of the Delta and I have really enjoyed this.  I wish I would have been to this event. 

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal