collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When you lose your money, learn to lose - Furry Lewis, Billy Lyons and Stack O'Lee

Author Topic: Patton Book?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline wreid75

Patton Book?
« on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »
I just ran across this book on Patton online but I can't find it anywhere.  I have a librarian at a local library looking too.  Does anyone know about this particular book?

The Voice of the Delta: Charley (Charlie) Patton and the Mississippi blues traditions, influences, and comparisons : an international symposium Unknown Binding ? January 1, 1987

Unknown Binding: 347 pages
    Publisher: Presses universitaires Liege; 2nd edition (1987)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 2870141637
    ISBN-13: 978-2870141632

Offline hardtimekillingfloor

• Howdy!
Re: Patton Book?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »
Well I kn ow about the book In Tune: Charley Patton and Jimmy Rogers that is out but have yet to read it.  Calt/Wardlows book, Faheys book, and David Evans essay which is online free on pdf are the only other works on Patton I know of.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
It's a conference volume. Here's the OCLC page:

http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=bn%3A2870141637&qt=advanced&dblist=638

#2 appears to list the largest number of libraries that have it in their holdings:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/voice-of-the-delta-charley-patton-and-the-mississippi-blues-traditions-influences-and-comparisons-an-international-symposium/oclc/23145298&referer=brief_results

Your local library should be able to get you a copy through Inter-Library Loan.

Although there is an e-Book listed, it doesn't appear that one is actually available. Nothing at Google Books either.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »
I just ran across this book on Patton online but I can't find it anywhere.  I have a librarian at a local library looking too.  Does anyone know about this particular book?

It's a rare one. The book is a collection of essays presented at a symposium in Li?ge, Belgium, in 1984, in honor of the 50th anniversary of Patton's death. Contributors include David Evans, Arnold Shaw, Jim O'Neal, John Broven, Mike Rowe, Dick Shurman, and others. Edited by Robert Sacre. I doubt there were very many published in the first place, and it's long out of print. (I believe it was published in 1987, and I don't know if there was ever a re-printing.)
Jeff

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
Anyone got a pdf file of this lying around they are willing to share?  Or a site where it can be downloaded? 

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 08:28:56 PM »
Doesn't look like any of the libraries has scanned it. If you have borrowing privileges from one of the listed university libraries, or live in NYC or Chicago, you might be able to borrow it.

Offline hardtimekillingfloor

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 06:06:09 AM »
Anyone got a pdf file of this lying around they are willing to share?  Or a site where it can be downloaded? 

Don't hold your breath on pdf version.  I hope the inter library loan comes through.  I know of a few people who have a pdf of this but they have already seen this thread and would have responded if they wanted.  Just like anything else, sometimes people love knowing they have something or some information that others would kill for.  See thread about Mack McCormick and J. J. Sullivan fiasco.  Quotes there and lack of responses here says it all.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:33:36 AM »
No worried Hard Time, I will find it.  There is a library out there that will let me get it, it might take a week or two.  The few I have found keep it in house and won't loan out.  I will stay diligent.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 05:39:12 PM »

The Voice of the Delta: Charley (Charlie) Patton and the Mississippi blues traditions, influences, and comparisons : an international symposium Unknown Binding ? January 1, 1987

Unknown Binding: 347 pages
    Publisher: Presses universitaires Liege; 2nd edition (1987)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 2870141637
    ISBN-13: 978-2870141632

How bizarre. Earlier this year I was asked to scan the review of this in Blues & Rhythm, 30 July 1987 (pps 9-11)

The three PDFs are approx 880k each and Weenie balks at my attaching/posting these.

Hmm, perhaps the size limit for attachments is per post, can't recall. An 880kb file should be totally fine, but the three PDFs may need to be attached in 3 separate posts. Happy to help as needed.

HardTime, probably not worth killing for. Symposium proceedings--I mean, I could see how one might die of boredom...

Just for the record, I'm not aware of there being a whole lot of hoarders and selfish collectors on this forum. It started out as a bunch of country blues guitar players, mostly, both amateur and professional, sharing information and thoughts about the music. I think it's still more or less like that. A number of other good people have joined in along the way.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:50:03 PM by uncle bud »

Offline wreid75

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:36:23 PM »
HardTime, probably not worth killing for.
  Nice! LMAO, okay more like an amused chuckle but you get my point.  In searching I found another book Come Home Charley Patton by Ralph Lemon.  Has anyone read this?  I am wondering if it actually has much to do with Patton and if it has any new info, stories anecdotes.  There is a quote on Amazon
He is also seeking traces of obscure blues musicians, especially the elusive Charley Patton, and not only does he intently look and listen, he also dances spontaneously in living rooms and open spaces.
If anyone has red it give shout! 

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:00:59 AM »
Voice of The Delta B&R Review 1

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 12:01:49 AM »
Voice of The Delta B&R Review 2

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »
Voice of The Delta B&R Review3

Had to get them under 1mb for them to be accepted.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 05:30:36 AM »
Thanks for posting the review, Bunker Hill.  I've always wondered about that book.

...it is well worth it for the Evans article alone

I believe the David Evans article was reprinted in the notes to the Revenant Patton CD set.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:51:25 AM by dj »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 08:43:50 AM »
Thanks for doing the scan and upload, Alan.

For anyone interested in owning a copy, there's a used copy available via Amazon in France:

http://www.amazon.fr//gp/offer-listing/2870141637/sr=/qid=/?condition=used&tag=bf-dt-home-2-21

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:17:07 AM by Stuart »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal