collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I don't drink anymore... but I don't drink any less, either - Lazy Lester, Backstage Vancouver BC

Author Topic: Charlie Turner's kansas city dog walk  (Read 914 times)

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
Charlie Turner's kansas city dog walk
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
hi,
new member.
just to say thanks for the willie mctell information.
finally got myself a 12 string after 40 years of playing six.
so,.....anyone out there with the tuning for kansas city dog walk by charlie turner ? and/or tunings of milas pruitt on the lottie kimbrough tracks.
thanks.
great site.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:40:43 AM by Johnm »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: kansas city dog walk
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
tunings of milas pruitt on the lottie kimbrough tracks

Click on Tags->Tag Index at the top of the page.  Look for Lottie Kimbrough or Milas Pruitt and click on the tag.  It'll take you to a Lottie Kimbrough Lyrics thread that also discusses the Pruitts' accompaniments.

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
thankyou,getting the hang of it now.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »
Hi Bed Bug Bill,
Charlie Turner played "Kansas City Dog Walk" out of G position in standard tuning tuned a little over half a step low, so it sounds a little flat of F#.  I hope this helps.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »
Hi, John.thanks.assumed it was open because of the slide.will tackle it soon.thanks.

Offline banjochris

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »
The mystery to me in that tune is how he is using the slide, because he's playing stuff that would be pretty easy if your left-hand pinky was free and pretty damn hard if it weren't.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
Hi all,
One of the interesting moves Charlie Turner makes in "Kansas City Dog Walk" is one I'd only heard done previously by Shirley Griffith, in "River Line Blues".  Turner takes a D7 chord fingered out of an A7 shape, X-X-7-7-7-8, and resolves the chord down three frets, intact, to a B7, X-X-4-4-4-5, all in the context of a V7 chord, since "Kansas City Dog Walk" is played, at that point, in G.  Shirley Griffith in "River Line Blues" goes from an E7 out of the A7 shape, X-X-9-9-9-10, to a C#7 out of the same shape, X-X-6-6-6-7, but it's in the context of a I7 chord, since "River Line Blues" is in E.  The move is somewhat akin to moving a diminished 7 shape up or down three frets, a la Lonnie Johnson or Blind Blake, but is considerably more exotic sounding, because the dominant seventh chord, unlike the diminished seventh chord, does not invert and re-voice itself every three frets--instead, when you move the dominant seventh chord three frets, you've just got a different chord, and its a lot more jarring.

Anyhow, it's interesting to hear an earlier recorded version of the move that Shirley played in "River Line".  I thought he might have had that one all to himself, but I guess there's nothing new under the sun.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: Charlie Turner 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal