collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What better reason to do something like music than just because you love it? It's really easy, all you gotta do is quit your day job, and alienate your family, and confuse all your friends, and live in squalor for a few years, and you got it - Bruce Molsky

Author Topic: Routledge Encyclopedia of the Blues  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Routledge Encyclopedia of the Blues
« on: October 20, 2005, 10:43:24 AM »
For the wealthy check this out, due for publication next month:

http://www.routledge-ny.com/ref/blues/index.html

Or recommend that a library invests in it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Routledge Encyclopedia of the Blues
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 11:13:31 AM »
Interesting, and I sincerely hope it does the subject area justice. Given that Dixon Godrich & Rye can fill a whole thick volume covering only one subject area in depth I wonder if two volumes can catch all the rest. I look forward to getting my hands on this. Or maybe I should wait til the 2nd edition, after the ensuing arguments on PWB have subsided!

Bunker, do you know who the contributers and editors are?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:35:08 AM »
Bunker, do you know who the contributers and editors are?
Just click 'Contributors' in the left hand frame where there are also, A-Z list of entries, sample entries etc.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:42:25 AM »
Doh, sorry, I missed that. Looks good. Wish it stopped at 19-forty something though. Discussion of some (a lot actually) of what came after, interleaved with the golden age, I know I will find jarring.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:57:30 AM »
Doh, sorry, I missed that. Looks good. Wish it stopped at 19-forty something though. Discussion of some (a lot actually) of what came after, interleaved with the golden age, I know I will find jarring.
You and me both, you and me both. But then it will appeal even less to a library market. Everybody would have heard of the Rolling Stones or Cream so I guess their inclusion, however inappropriate I personally might think they be, are probably mandatory to get the damned thing sold/distributed.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:13:18 PM »
To put my purist hat on for a moment, oh OK, it seems to be permanently attached to my head... if they just took a leaf out of DG&R's book (sorry bad pun) and simply picked a cutoff year we wouldn't have to all grit our collective teeth. Together with DG&R it could evolve into a fabulous resource. As it is expect a large proportion to be irrelevant.

I know I'll be thinking as I read through "this is exactly what's wrong with the whole so-called blues world today..." mutter, mutter, groan, gripe, grumble, bitch.

There, now I've reviewed it before even seeing it. But I still want it.

Offline PattonsDaimon

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 01:37:40 AM »
I was solicited to be a contributor for this project, for several entries, including Bo Weavil Jackson, Whistler's Jug Band, and William Harris.  I backed out when I found out that the entries were to be no longer than 40 words or so.  You can probably expect a couple of pages on Johnson, but the lesser known folks will, as expected, be more or less ignored.
"To be is to be the value of a bound variable." -- W.V. Quine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal