collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change - from The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

Author Topic: Tommy McClennan's 2nd photo  (Read 4665 times)

LoneWolf

Tommy McClennan's 2nd photo
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:00:46 AM »
Where can I find Tommy's photo that shows him in the company of Little Walter and other legends?

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Tommy McClennan's 2nd photo
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:52:08 AM »
With Little Walter, Elmore James and Sonny Boy Williamson (1953) and given to Yannick Bruynoghe by Broonzy who took the "snapshot" (rather out of focus).

It was first published by the Soul Bag magazine in France to accompany a special feature marking the 20th anniversay of death of Elmore James (issue 94, May/June 1983). Shortly after it was used again in a Living Blues special about Yannick Bruynoghe and Broonzy. It is reproduced in Steve Franz's book The Amazing Secret History Of Elmore James (2002). No doubt there is other (unauthorised) usages. :)

There's yet another photo of McClennan in the booklet to the recent Big Bill Broonzy double CD.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 06:23:10 PM »
Wow, This Is The Only Photograph Of Tommy McClennan That I Know Of, I'd Love To See More.

LoneWolf

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »

I think this is it...
From what I see.. left to right: McClennan, Sonny Boy, Elmore and Little Walter...

But I could be wrong, does anyone think differently?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:02:04 PM »
That's it but Elmore on far left in hat and Tommy McC next to LW. This is the photo taken by Broonzy and given to Yannick Bruynoghe and first published 1983 by Soul Bag in France in their Elmore James special issue and then the following year by Living Blues.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:04:29 PM by Bunker Hill »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »
Nice picture!  Where'd you find it?

I think you've got Elmore and Tommy switched.  My guess is (l to r) Elmore, Sonny Boy, Tommy, Walter. 

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:39:52 PM »
That's A Great Photograph!! Where Was It Taken?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 11:30:06 PM »
Chicago, c. 1953. I think I said elsewhere here where this topic was raised the most recent "official" published usage is in Steve Franz's The Amazing Secret History of Elmore James (BlueSorce Publication, 2003, 302pps). I don't know where this copy originated but if you look closley at the top right sky area there's type see-through which would indicate probably from one of the magazines. The copy reproduced in Franz doesn't have this so I guess obtained from Margo Bruynoghe.

Here's the cover of the magazine in which it first appeared

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 01:37:25 AM »
Thought I'd reawaken this topic to point out Jeff Harris's latest piece of authorship which modesty no doubt prevents him from doing himself http://sundayblues.org/    ;)

Keep 'em coming Jeff

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:46:56 AM »
did a little processing on that photo (i.e. removing that shine-through, sharpen) - result can be examined at http://www.wirz.de/music/mcclenna.htm (scroll to the bottom of the discography)

Stefan

Offline jostber

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 07:30:08 AM »
Them cats look cool!
 :D

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 04:59:15 AM »
Chicago, c. 1953. I think I said elsewhere here where this topic was raised the most recent "official" published usage is in Steve Franz's The Amazing Secret History of Elmore James (BlueSorce Publication, 2003, 302pps). I don't know where this copy originated but if you look closley at the top right sky area there's type see-through which would indicate probably from one of the magazines. The copy reproduced in Franz doesn't have this so I guess obtained from Margo Bruynoghe.
As a fair proportion of this thread seems to cover Elmore James I thought I'd append to it the news that the ever resourceful Herr Wirz has embarked upon constructing an EJ discography at http://www.wirz.de/music/jamelmfrm.htm
It's a work in progress so periodic visits over the next few weeks may be advisable! :P
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:07:59 PM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 06:56:58 AM »
That's another Golden Weenie for Stefan.  He soon won't have room on his mantlepiece for all the awards...
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline jostber

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 07:30:47 AM »
As a good proportion
As a fair proportion of this thread seems to cover Elmore James I thought I'd append to it the news that the ever resourceful Herr Wirz has embarked upon constructing an EJ discography at http://www.wirz.de/music/jamelmfrm.htm
It's a work in progress so periodic visits over the next few weeks may be advisable! :P

Elmore James discography, that's great!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal