collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Boys, I heard what you were doing up there, and I want you to keep playing those new notes - Comment from Bill Monroe to a youthful Russ Barenberg and John Miller, backstage at the Delaware Bluegrass Festival in 1973, after having heard the band they were in, Country Cooking, play a set

Linked Events

• John Cephas Memorial Service and Jam: March 29, 2009 - March 26, 2009

Author Topic: John Cephas Memorial Service and Jam  (Read 1879 times)

PiedmontBlues

John Cephas Memorial Service and Jam
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:57:40 PM »
John Cephas passed away on March 4, 2009. To honor him and his great contribution to Piedmont Blues, a Memorial Service will be held on Sunday, March 29th from 1-3pm in Baird Auditorium at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History at 10th and Constitution, NW in Washington, DC. All are welcome. To celebrate his life, a House Party Jam will follow immediately afterwards at the Westminster Presbyterian Church located at 400 I Street SW, also in Washington, DC. Musicians are encouraged to bring instruments and play, as this was John's wish.

Offline thecountryblues

• You ain't shit unless you can make 'em dance
    • www.thecountryblues.com
Re: John Cephas Memorial Service and Jam
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:46:39 AM »
John Cephas was a kind and gracious man, a true gentleman. I first met him at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in DC-- the same time he and Phil Wiggins first hooked up. The used to play small venues around DC, like Kramer's Bookstore.
Years later I interviewed them both in New York City when they played BB King's.
Two lovely people.
I don't know what Phil will do now. Has anyone heard?
I have a wonderful photo of them both which my wife took. It is in a frame and I need to disassemble and scan it. I will share it with you.
FM
(no, not Frequency Modulation- Frank Matheis)

Tags: John Cephas 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal