collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
In 1968, Wells returned from a State Department-sponsored tour of Africa and told a Newsweek correspondent, "We got to one place and they had banners saying 'Welcome Home, Junior'. I told 'em, man I said, this ain't my home, I live one block north of the Loop. Then they asked me what I thought of black power. I said black power is me making it with Aretha Franklin." - from Larry Cohn's Nothing But The Blues

Author Topic: dragging the thumb  (Read 747 times)

Offline Mark Miller

dragging the thumb
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »
Almost everything I've learned so far has involved a pretty straight-up alternating bass with the thumb, with small variations in places such as omitted beats or more of a brush on the 2 and 4 (or at least a harder pick that takes a chunk out of the rest of the chord).  I'm starting to try to play a few songs that involve a more complicated thumb, building up (eventually, I hope) to Blind Blake.  I've heard some people talk about "dragging the thumb" rather than making two separate picks with it, at least when the notes are on adjacent strings.  I want to do this the right way so I don't ingrain bad habits.  But my thumb naturally wants to hit such notes as two separate picks, which makes it hard to keep up when the song is fast, and which I'll bet also will make it impossible to get the right feel or sound.  Any tips on learning to drag the thumb, other than (as always) going slow at first?

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

Re: dragging the thumb
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:18:51 AM »
As far as dragging the thumb is concerned, fast may be a better way to go....and sloppy. The later being my specialty ;D
Gary
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
There are far better Blake players than me on here.   However...

The trick to the double thumb is getting what classical players would call the rest stroke or apoyando.  Only with the thumb.

id practice just playing 6th string bass notes with your thumb coming to rest on the fifth.  Once that is natural, its one further step just to push through the next one after playing a rest stroke.  Nice and slowly.  Getting it into a piece takes longer, but get that basic idea into your fingers...

Offline ScottN

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
Hi Mole,

Just to add on, one way to practice is to play down all the strings E A D G B E making sure to stop your thumb resting on the string physically below the one you just plucked.

Another drill would be to play in rhythm counting 4 triplets making sure your thumb stops on the lower string after each note
Strings 6-5-4 - one trip let
Strings 5-4-3 - two trip let
Strings 4-3-2 - three trip let
Strings 3-2-1 - four trip let

The last tip I would give is to make sure the thumb is pushing the string inward somewhat towards the soundboard vs pushing the string straight down parallel with the sound board or even plucking the string away from the soundboard.

Good luck,
               Scott

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:46:09 PM by ScottN »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 11:29:14 PM »
I think it helps if you learn the lick or pattern without the grace note so that you are pretty smooth and then add it in.

Rather than get into classical guitar technique I like thinking of it as just a two string strum, but with the emphasis on the second note falling right on the beat. As Johnm often says, it's important to hear, in your mind, what it is you want to play. So as you play the straight pick, hear, or even say, the little grace note: 1-2-3-4-(a)1-2-3-4-(a)1-2-3-4. then, when you have the feel of the rhythm, start that thumb stroke a little quicker reaching for the extra string and drive through hitting the second string on the beat, just as you have been. Keep playing the measure over and over, keeping the beat smooth, and listen to how it sounds. Rather than trying to be in complete control, forcing your muscles mentally, let your ear communicate directly with your hand. Sounds weird, maybe, but your hand will make the corrections if you keep the sound you want in your mind's ear.

Hope that helps.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal