collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm old enough to know you can't close your mind to new ideas - John Goodenough, a 94-year-old professor at the University of Texas at Austin

Author Topic: 12 string Dobro?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
12 string Dobro?
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
I just played one of these over at Chelsea Guitars here in NYC. When I first saw it I thought, gee thats a really dumb idea! But of course I couldn't resist giving it a try, and it was BITCHIN" AND KICKIN"! This is when I really hate being impecunious, but some worthy soul in this estimable group should benefit from my research. Just grant me visitation rights, sob, blubber, sniff....
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

Re: 12 string Dobro?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
Sorry to hear about your bout of impecunioushia. A lot of that going around. Some penicillin and/or large sums of cash should clean that right up, depending on what stage you're in. Early detecton is the key.
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:40:05 AM »
Hi O'Muck,
I'm curious--which, if any of the pairs were in octave courses, and which were in unisons?  I find courses somewhat scary in conventional 12-strings, but in a 12-string dobro, I think they would be terrifying.  Brrr!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »
Somewhere I have a LP with Tut Taylor playing the 12 string Dobro. I checked the web and it looks like Tut is said to have invented it. It also looks like he recorded an album by the name "12 String Dobro!," although I can't recall ever hearing it.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
Some penicillin and/or large sums of cash
[/quote]

Where does one obtain this "Cash" of which you speak? I've heard of it, but have never actually seen any.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
Hi O'Muck,
I'm curious--which, if any of the pairs were in octave courses, and which were in unisons?  I find courses somewhat scary in conventional 12-strings, but in a 12-string dobro, I think they would be terrifying.  Brrr!
All best,
Johnm

I probably didn't make it clear that this was a style (#$@?!) metal bodied resonator 12 string guitar,
not square necked lap model. As far as which were octaves and which were unisons...beats the shit outta me John! I just picked it up, ran through one or two Willie McTell figures and was off to the next bit-o-idiocy. It played with surprisingly little effort and sounded really good and oddly un-resonator like. I was however, without my usual fingerpick, thumbpick combo, so it was just bare fingers (with mighty manly man callouses) vs. hard steel.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
I was told that because they need to raise cash they would part with it for $1200.

Tags: dobro 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal