collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
These Memphis cops call me a vagrant, but I'm a musician. I'm a recording artist for the Vict'ry company. Known all over the world. But these southern laws don't recognize a man by his talents. - Willie Blackwell to Alan Lomax

Author Topic: Friends of Folkways Subscription Streaming Service  (Read 940 times)

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Friends of Folkways Subscription Streaming Service
« on: October 13, 2023, 07:11:02 AM »
Hi all,
I just discovered that Smithsonian Folkways is now offering a subscription service called 'Friends of Folkways'. For a donation of $5 a month, or more, you are now able to stream entire Folkways albums as well as albums from subsidiary labels Arhoolie, Folk-Legacy, Paredon, and others. The money, of course, also goes to support the broader cause of carrying on and extending the legacy of the Folkways catalog and mission.

It took me a minute to understand the process, but you basically just set up an account on the Folkways site, then purchase a donation subscription amount. Once that's done you can search the site for an album or artist, click on the album and then hit the 'Play Album' button, at that point a streaming element opens at the bottom of the page.

While they've had the ability to play single songs from albums for awhile now, this new streaming feature is a welcome addition. I've now got a set of tabs in my phone browser set up to save my favorites as I explore the back catalog more. And, of course, I'm dreaming of a day when Folkways is able to create an app dedicated to streaming the catalog, but for now this is the next best thing.

Get more info here:
https://folkways.si.edu/friends-of-folkways

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Friends of Folkways Subscription Streaming Service
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 10:45:20 AM »
Thanks, Tenbrook. Looks like a bargain.
I've moved your post over to the "Phonograph Blues" board.

Offline sofingraw

• Howdy!
    • South Florida Country Blues Guitar
Re: Friends of Folkways Subscription Streaming Service
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 10:18:45 AM »
Just signed up. Thank you! Very cool resource!

Tags: FolkwaysRecords 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal