collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The way that gal kill up men, the graveyard ain't got much more room - Lonnie Johnson, Low Down St. Louis Blues

Author Topic: Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize lecture  (Read 1003 times)

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize lecture
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
This just dropped today. I wasn't sure what to expect, but less than 5 minutes in I'm really enjoying it. He starts with his roots which align with a lot of our passions and loves as well so I thought I'd share:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:26:57 AM by TenBrook »

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
Re: Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize lecture
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
After the roots intro he goes into a long Moby Dick tangent and tangents off that a bit as well. But, you know, he's Dylan. He then quotes Charlie Poole's 'You Ain't Talkin to Me' except the lyrics he quotes aren't from Charlie's version. I'm assuming the lyrics were written by someone during the '50s/'60s folk movement as an anti-war update but googling hasn't brought up anything beyond the below site, which contains the verses Dylan quotes and attributes them to the 'You Ain't Talkin' to Me: Charlie Poole and the Roots of Country Music' collection, but listening through the two versions of the song on the collection confirms that that's not the origin of those words. Leave it to Dylan to present a mystery parading as a fact.

https://www.antiwarsongs.org/canzone.php?id=8269&lang=en
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:48:40 AM by TenBrook »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal