collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"When the waitress brought our drinks, I picked up my beer and proposed a toast. 'To John Hammond, for bringing Son to Columbia Records.' Son looked at me for a few seconds and then shook his head. He picked up his bourbon and smiled at me for the first time all day. 'To Robert Johnson, for being dead!'" - Dick Waterman

Author Topic: Gonna Tip Out Tonight--Pink Anderson and Simmie Dooley  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Rockdale

Gonna Tip Out Tonight--Pink Anderson and Simmie Dooley
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:32:42 PM »
   I've been trying to figure out this song lately and was wondering if any of you are familiar with or play it. It's by Pink Anderson & Simmie Dooley from the album Sinners and Saints (1926-1931). I'll try to notate what I have of the form so far.

I  VI  I  VI 

I  I  II/V I

repeat once, then:

II  V  V  VII

VI  VI  VI  VI

V  V  I (guitar break)

VI  VI  VI  VI

After that, to me, it sounds like they go back to the I chord for awhile and then do a II-V-I thing to end the form. Any advice?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:36:15 AM by Johnm »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Gonna Tip Out Tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »
Hi Rockdale - this one came around on the iVictrola recently, and I thought, boy, it's time to figure that one out. Thanks for doing the work.  :D

I think you have the form right. There are a couple spots where my ear still wonders exactly what they're doing. For instance, in the B section, that first II chord sounds almost like they play the chord x02233 (what's that, A7sus4??). That VII chord is great.

After that, to me, it sounds like they go back to the I chord for awhile and then do a II-V-I thing to end the form. Any advice?

Yes, the I chord with 4th string runs. There's a spot in this I chord pedalling where I swear I hear a quick VI chord again. This isn't a total surprise since in those 4th string runs he keeps hitting the 2nd fret, which is the VI note. But I think I hear the actual chord with the low E. So here's what I hear so far at the end of the form:

I  I VI    I    V   I

II   V    I

I'm not 100% certain of this yet but we'll see if others have opinions.

For anyone who might prefer chord names we're in G, with the II, VI and VII chords all being major or 7ths, so A7, E, F#.

A great performance.

edited to add: After tagging this topic, it was revealed JohnM addressed this song in the Rag Blues thread here: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=712.msg14751#msg14751. My additional quick VI chord in the end bit is not there in his analysis.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:48:24 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Rockdale

Re: Gonna Tip Out Tonight
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »
   Thanks for that link uncle bud...I didn't know that was on here. One of the things I like about this song is that they let the guitar have the break during the first two choruses, not singing "any old rounder sure can take my place" until the end of the song.

Break during first chorus:

e:----------2--1--0-------------------------------|
b:----0---------------3--2--1--0-----------------|
g:----0-----------------------------3--2--0-------|
d:----0--------------------------------------------|
a:----2--------------------------------------------|
e:----3--------------------------------------------|

The break during the second chorus sounds very similar but has both guitars playing a run together and, to me, it sounds like they're a bit off from each other; like they're starting on two different notes but ending up in the same place.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal