Country Blues > Country Blues Lyrics

Charlie Spand--"Soon This Morning Blues" and Covers/Charlie Spand Lyrics

<< < (2/6) > >>

dj:
Spand's record must have been popular in Alabama:  Sonny Scott recorded "Early This Morning" on July 19, 1933 with Walter Roland on piano.  Then Roland recorded "Early This Morning ('Bout The Break Of Day)" the next day.  Then Roland recorded "Early In The Morning No. 2 ('Bout The Break Of Day)" a year later on July 31, 1934.  Scott's version is a fairly fast boogie, while Roland's two versions slow the tempo down a bit.   

Bunker Hill:
FWIW from memory both Jazz Gillum and John Lee Williamson reworked the song as "Early In The Morning" in late 30s/early 40s and from there seemed to life as "(Come See Me) Early In The Morning" amongst post war Chicago harmonica recording artists.

Johnm:
Thanks for the additions, Bunker Hill, and I think you're right--"Early In The Morning" really became a mainstay of the Chicago Blues repertoire.  I know I've had versions by Junior Wells and Charlie Musselwhite, among others.
All best,
Johnm

Bunker Hill:

--- Quote from: Johnm on July 03, 2007, 12:44:30 PM ---Thanks for the additions, Bunker Hill, and I think you're right--"Early In The Morning" really became a mainstay of the Chicago Blues repertoire.  I know I've had versions by Junior Wells and Charlie Musselwhite, among others.
--- End quote ---
Yep Wells first recorded it in 1954 but titled 'Bout The Break Of Day but in the 60s and up as Early In The Morning.

Useless information or what?

dj:
I don't know if he recorded a version later, but Jazz Gillum's "Early In The Morning" - the first song he ever recorded, on June 14, 1934 - is a different song, a standard 12 bar blues with no melodic or lyric relation (other than the title) to Spand's song.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version