collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
So cold and shady, bird can't hardly fly - Robert Pete Williams, It's So Cold In Chicago

Author Topic: Sam Collins Lyrics  (Read 29623 times)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Sam Collins Lyrics
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2020, 11:32:44 PM »
The appropriation of songs for the purpose of getting the publishing rights that you spoke of, Chris, happened in contexts other than commercial recordings, too. Think of all the songs that John Lomax "co-wrote" with Leadbelly.

Absolutely! I'm also not sure that it was always a bad thing – Peer did OK by many of his artists, for instance, certainly better than the way artists like Buddy Moss and Blind Boy Fuller were paid.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2020, 12:49:11 PM »
Anyhow, I find this feature of D,G& R fascinating, and wonder if anyone else does, too.

I imagine every one of us who owns a copy feels the same way.  You can exercise your imagination even more by looking for gaps in the master number sequence for a given session - there are 9 untraced masters in the Paramount sequence for May 28, 1930, when Son House, Willie Brown, and Louise Johnson were recording (though 2 of these are probably Grandma Blues and Sorry Blues).  You can let your imagination run wild picturing who may have recorded what in that blank spot.

That book was last revised 23 years ago, and new information has continued to be uncovered.  I know the economics of publishing aren't what they used to be, but I sure would spring for an updated book.

Being a jug band freak a section that interests me is the Index to Accompanists, which comes all the way at the end. A while back I used it to compile a list of jug and "imitation bass" players, as well as, in the following post, a discography of Alfred Elkins's career on the imb (imitation bass, or generally, washtub bass):

https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11300.msg99742#msg99742

If you are interested in seeing the list of every artist that Lonnie Johnson accompanied, say, or Charley McCoy, just check their entry in this Index. If you then follow back to the discographies you can follow throuh their career, as I did with Elkins, and you get a real sense of the other musicians that they played with regularly, what companies and cities they recorded in, etc. I think it gives a richer understanding of the scene.

I remember Alan B talking about the unlikelyhood of a hard copy 5th edition being published as the obvious direction is for it to be digital and online. Who knows if someone will come forward to take up this task but it would sure make it easier to work with. I visually scanned every entry (30 pages worth) looking for a "j" or an "imb" to make the jug & washtub bass player list.

I turn to B&GR almost anytime there is a discussion on WC about the players in a specific recording.

Enjoy, Johnm!

BTW, which is the approved abbreviation: B&GR or DG&R?

Moderators: There seem to be two Tags for Alfred Elkins.

Wax
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:36:43 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »
I'm working on this song and want to suggest some changes in the Sam Collins version,

verse 3
   Went to the Nations, lived town to town and the territor'

verse 4
   You brushed pressed my jumper, my overhalls

last verse
   The day you left me, goin' almost blind  doesn't sound right, could it be  gon'/won't wear no black

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2021, 04:15:49 PM »
Hi Harry,
I'm pretty sure you're right about "territor'" in the first line of the third verse, though I'm just hearing, "the territor"", with no "and" preceding it. I think you're also right about "pressed" rather than "brushed" in the first line of verse four. In the final verse I'm now hearing:
   The day you left me, GOIN' ON THOSE BLINDS
   I write you a letter, COME SNEAKING BACK
All best,
Johnm

Offline Tonybluesboy

• Howdy!
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2021, 08:32:59 AM »
Sam Collins - Signifyin Blues
'Tis a tiny thing, but I hear an extra word
She looked down the street and seen me comin'
She put that low-down DIRTY rascal out
Cheers
Tony

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »
Hi Tonybluesboy,
That's a good catch on "Signifyin' Blues". I have made the change, thanks!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2021, 03:32:36 PM »
Hi Harry,
I'm pretty sure you're right about "territor'" in the first line of the third verse, though I'm just hearing, "the territor"", with no "and" preceding it. I think you're also right about "pressed" rather than "brushed" in the first line of verse four. In the final verse I'm now hearing:
   The day you left me, GOIN' ON THOSE BLINDS
   I write you a letter, COME SNEAKING BACK
All best,
Johnm

"come sneaking back" is correct for sure. That first line, second part, really difficult to hear what Collins is singing.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal