collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The only definition of 'broadcast' in 1901 was 'to sow seeds.' This is still my favorite metaphor for public radio - Bill Siemerling, 2003

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 254931 times)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2008, 07:17:55 AM »
PP  You've gone soft - all that ukulele'ing and messing around with the guitar on its back must have made you lose your attack!  Nice example of '60's "folk blues" though. ;D

At least I've stopped short of getting a banjo - perish the thought!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »
Aaargh... Cliff Mitchelmore and Alan Whicker on Tonight...! Blast from the past, very funny...

"Come Back Baby/Glory of Love".  Great performance!

Indeed, had me grinning from ear to ear by the end, which is what it's all about for me these days. Love that quirky broken timing and very original licks he pulls out.

The scene in the German club is the nightmare gig from hell . . .
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:38:06 PM by Rivers »

Offline mossy creek

« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2008, 11:27:59 AM »
What sort of pipes is Dom Flemons playing in his clip (I love that sound!).

Bob

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »
Quills.  Yeah, I gotta make me some o' them someday... 
Here's a good thread:
http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=4363.0

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2009, 01:24:40 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Mr. O'M.  Good old Fred - musically the man could do no wrong.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »
The Fred McDowell hill country helicopter trance groove is very cool.

I was noticing the right hand, he's hitting the higher bass octave note (4th string) on the one and the bottom on the two. Watched a few others vids as I was sucked into the youtube vortex, same thing. Funny I'd never figured that out before now.

On the same track, I was picking up on his trick of hitting the high note with the slide really fast and putting more emphasis on the slide down. That's totally backwards to the way 99% of slide players operate, self included.

Nice TR2 in the opening shots.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39:23 AM »
Rivers writes: "his trick of hitting the high note with the slide really fast and putting more emphasis on the slide down. That's totally backwards to the way 99% of slide players operate, self included."

Attacking the note quickly and then adding vibrato (or not) down from there is a regular part of a slide players armory, along with the longer  and/or slower slides into the note, hammers & pulls etc. Just listen to Tampa Red, it's all over his playing.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2009, 08:55:57 AM »
Right, and just possibly Tampa Red is in that 1%?

'Regular part of a slide player's armory...', well thanks for the tip there, I'll try and remember that.  ;)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »
 Rivers,   I'm sorry, do you mean 99% of present day players of slide, or the old guys? If it's present day I might go along with you quite a way.

You might also want to check out King Solomon Hill amongst others. Check his "Tell me Baby" for extreme examples of this rapid attack.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2009, 03:22:03 PM »
I expressed myself badly. Fred sounds quite unique to me. Two of the ways he differentiates himself is with a) the alternating right hand thumb hitting the higher bass on the 1, and the lower bass on the 2

The second point I was trying to make was his very unusual octave percussive slides and the immediate transformation back to a descending melody line. The main point was he gets to the high note with little or no emphasis on the run up, it's basically damped, so when the note arrives it's 'wham' with no fluff. I don't hear anything like this in Tampa Red's playing, though technically he may be doing roughly the same thing at certain points. Tampa Red is silky smooth and with a vocabulary that made him capable of pulling out anything. In Fred's case it's a signature lick, I'd have to listen but feel pretty sure many or even most of his songs' breaks were built around variations of it.

The differences in two players playing the same passage are in feel and timing, expression, nuances. Tampa and Fred were brilliant slide players worlds apart. I may try and copy some of those moves from the video, they sure sound good. And it's good to see them in action, much harder to visualize what he's up to from the recordings. I've been fooling with Fred's stuff for a while on and off.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »
Sliding down from the 7th (or IV) to the tonic on the top string is a standard Casey Bill lick... I mean, who else might I know anything about the rest hold the guitars in funny way  :D

And, I would venture to suggest it's a TR3 or TR3A since the TR2 had the grill set back inside the air scoop... I had one each and they all used to spin around in the wet, strange that  :P
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »
HeHe! I just knew someone was gonna call me on that TR2/3 thing!  8)

Phil has suggested we start a new topic on slide techniques and move the convo there. This is a great suggestion and I'll do that as soon as I've had breakfast and another coffee or two.

Mark.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »
Wonderful idea.

Then perchance we could have a "classic British sports car handles like a bucket of ummm " thread, I must have owned\tested\destroyed most of them  :P
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
Lusting after a new Cooper S JC Works here...

OK I've started a new topic called You've Got To Move - Slide Tips & Techniques for further discussion on this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:11:41 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
That's a sad piece and a beautiful understated performance. I'm a big Crudup fan, thanks for posting that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal