collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ernest (for some reason he always called Scruggs Ernest), you're a fine banjo player, but you ain't a bit funny - Uncle Dave Macon to Earl Scruggs, from Rutherford County Historical Society Publication No. 35 by Charles Wolfe

Author Topic: ragtime/folk/jazz guitarist/composer/author Richard Saslow makes rare appearance  (Read 535 times)

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
I am thrilled and honored to bring the fabulous guitarist/composer/author Richard Saslow to Portland for a special appearance in concert with me Sept. 22, and a workshop the following afternoon. Both events are at Artichoke Music, 2007 SE Powell, Portland.
Saslow has been my mentor and teacher for more than 40 years, although we have not yet met! I borrowed his book The Art of Ragtime Guitar from the library in 1975. It transformed my approach to music, opening up the world of fingerstyle guitar and enabling me to figure out the 1920s-30s blues recordings that had mystified me before. I have devoted the rest of my musical life to studying, performing and teaching that music, and I will finally get to meet and hear the guy who made it all possible -- and so will you, at the concert and workshop.
Saslow, of Northern California, recently retired from a nonmusic career and published a second book, The Intentional Guitarist (which retains the fingerstyle approach of the first while venturing into more out-there, jazz-style harmonies). Although he is a distinctive, creative composer for the guitar as well as a virtuoso guitarist, Saslow rarely performs or teaches, so make sure to catch this show! And the workshop if you are a guitarist.
At the concert, Saslow and I will both play separately and also do a few together. At the workshop he will teach a piece or two from his books (which are available at Artichoke). 
Hope to see you there!

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
Arrgh! Saslow is sick and not coming to the events this weekend. I am very disappointed. But the show must go on. I will include some of his pieces in the concert. And I will teach the workshop on his ragtime compositions the next day. (Date wrong in the original post: concert is 8 p.m. this Saturday, Sept. 21, workshop 1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 22. Both at Artichoke Music in Portland, check their website for tickets and other info.) Thanks!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal