Country Blues > Weenie Campbell Main Forum

Mississippi Blues

<< < (2/6) > >>

blueshome:
Well, Sunrise Serenade or not, the Spand tune is the same! BH do you know when it was released?

blueshome:
Sorry to pop up again on this.
 Bunker - Spand's Mississippi Blues bears little relation tunewise to the W.Brown piece being a fairly straight ahead boogie beat.

Phil

dj:

--- Quote ---Spand's Mississippi Blues bears little relation tunewise to the W.Brown piece
--- End quote ---

But it does have some of the same motifs in the accompaniment.  Spand's Hard Times Blues was recorded in 1931.  Not sure when it was released, but since it was on Paramount, I guess it must have come out before the end of 1932.  I'm not familiar with Carle's "Sunrise Serenade", nor familiar enough with piano music of the era in general to tell whether those melodic motifs came to Carle via Spand or if they were just "in the air" at that time.   

Richard:
Does seem a strange route, William Brown blues guitarist of the parish doing a cover in '42 of a '32 piece which was '39 Glenn Miller hit  ::)

This adds to the confusion -

--- Quote --- .. recorded a few years earlier by Frank (or Freddie?) Carle. I can't look it up right now but the info is in the River Of Song reissue of a lot of the Lomax recordings from the 1942 field trip.
--- End quote ---

That reads as though Carle recorded it on the '42 field trip... the same year as Brown  ::)

waxwing:
From liner notes to Rounder Records, The Alan Lomax Collection, Deep River of Song - Mississippi: The Blues Lineage.

--- Quote ---Mississippi Blues (AFS 6606-A1) Performed by William Brown (vocal and guitar) Recorded by Alan Lomax at Sadie Beck's Plantation, Arkansas, on July 16, 1942.

John Work identified Brown's intricate guitar part as "adapted freely, but beautifully" from Frankie Carle's 1939 hit "Sunrise Serenade."
--- End quote ---

Was Frankie Carle the piano player for Glenn Miller? Not being a jazzer I wouldn't know.

All for now.
John C.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version