collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It is from the blues that all that may be called American music derives its most distinctive characteristics - James Weldon Johnson

Author Topic: Nat Joseph RIP  (Read 1505 times)

Offline GerryC

• Jest settin' here a-pickin' and a grinnin'
    • www.reverbnation.com/gerrycooper
Nat Joseph RIP
« on: September 13, 2005, 11:14:13 PM »
I'm sure many Weenies, perhaps especially in the UK, will be sad to hear of the death of Nathan [Nat] Joseph, the founder of Transatlantic Records. After Cambridge and a spell in the US, Joseph returned to the UK and set up as a record entrepreneur (for want of a better word) producing many spoken word and comedy records. His biggest seller was a spoken-word sex instruction guide (!) which in the strait-laced Britain of the early 60s sold over 100,000 copies... He used the profits from this to found Transatlantic Records, recording only artists whom he found congenial or whose music he thought worthwhile. The label had an enormous influence on the 'folk revival' in Britain, issuing the first albums by artists as varied as The Dubliners, Ralph McTell, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch, John James, Pentangle and Billy Connolly. He also issued albums by visiting or resident US artists, not least Stefan Grossman - some of his Transatlantic recordings have recently been re-issued on CD. No young folk guitarist's bedroom was complete without a substantial quantity of Transatlantic albums: TRA 125 (the first Bert Jansch album) was the very first LP I ever went into a shop to buy. Chnaging musical tastes in the 70s caused the label financial problems and it was bought out by a 'corporate entity', whose profits-rather-than-music motives caused Joseph to bale out and leave the music business. In the later part of his life he enjoyed a highly successful second career as a theatrical producer, but he will be remembered for the quality of the music and artists he gave to the public on Transatlantic. May he rest in peace.

Gerry C
I done seen better days, but I'm puttin' up with these...

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Nat Joseph RIP
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 12:10:34 PM »
This is sad news. I remember Nat Joseph from about 1966 when he set up his budget subsiduary Xtra Records (24shillings and 10pence, essentially? reissuing Folkways blues/folk recordings). To this day I still have most of the blues releases he kindly sent me to review. As the company expanded he employed a succession of 'press officers' who weren't half as accommodating (or knowledgeable about blues) as Nat.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 05:34:29 AM »
Seven years on I've spotted that Stefan has an Xtra discography under construction http://www.wirz.de/music/xtrafrm.htm and I'm amazed at just how eclectic Nat Joseph was in what he chose to reissue under his Folkways and Prestige licences.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:35:57 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:25:19 AM »
Still got my Xtras too!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal