collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Surface noise is our competitive edge - Slack re. the juke versus iTunes Radio

Author Topic: Johnny Parth  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Johnny Parth
« on: January 11, 2009, 04:02:39 AM »
I note that today is Johnny Parth's 79th birthday. He released the first batch of Document CDs in August 1990. How time flies....

Happy birthday Johnny.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Johnny Parth
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »
I'll second that!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:57:57 AM »
Looking at my CD shelves, there are literally hundreds of artists and thousands of songs that I would never have heard if it weren't for Johnny Parth.  He has made my life incomparably richer than it would have been had he never existed.  Thank you, Johnny, and Happy Birthday.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:19:28 AM »
Further to that, the release of everything in complete and chronological order probably inspired Dingwall to embark upon his books of Document transcriptions in the wake of his earlier Yazoo volumes. Yes? No?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
Further to THAT, the release of everything in complete and chronological order meant that someone had to write notes for each CD release.  I know that the general feeling among those who wrote the CD notes for Johnny Parth is that there was insufficient time and space to do as good a job as they would have liked, and that a lot of those notes are almost 20 years old and in many cases new information has come to light that one would wish could be included.  But taken as a whole, the notes to the Document CDs are quite a stunning achievement.  So thanks to all the authors, and thanks to Mr. Parth for making the whole thing happen.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:02:06 AM »
One perhaps shouldn't overlook the fact that Johnny had spent the previous decade releasing mountains of vinyl compilations on four different labels perhaps making the achievement even more remarkable

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal