collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The piano may do for lovesick girls who lace themselves to skeletons, and lunch on chalk, pickles, and slate pencils. But give me the banjo... When you want genuine music - music that will come right home to you like a bad quarter, suffuse your system like strychnine whiskey . . . ramify your whole constitution like the measles, and break out on your hide like the pin-feather pimples on a picked goose - when you want all this, just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo! - Mark Twain, Early Tales and Sketches, Vol 2 (1864-65)

Author Topic: Henry Townsend - Don't Love That Woman  (Read 883 times)

bayrum78

Henry Townsend - Don't Love That Woman
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
I feel like such a back porch hog but it's been a couple months since I've posted and I wanted to share this one. The vocals need to be tightened up a bit. Some of the intervals were troublesome at times for me to hit. I was  a little indecisive about whch octave i was going to sing the melody in. I don't play all of the same response licks he does nor in the same order - it's too much to remember so I play it more in the spirit of the way he plays it and improvise around the main tag line's rhyhm and length. I particularly like when he brushes up across the strings. It took me while to figure out what he was doing there but it's a nice effect. I also like when he bends the 2nd string in the broken G chord just after he sings the last verse briefly raising the  pitch when it sounds like the playback speeds up further accelerating an already fast moving riff.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:04:01 PM by bayrum78 »

Offline ScottN

Re: Henry Townsend - Don't Love That Woman
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »
Thanks for posting Bayrum, I really enjoyed it (as I do all your others...hog the Porch all you want in my opinion).

The upward rake move adds a really cool texture and your time and execution on it is really good.

Thanks again for posting.

Offline Steve Pajik

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »
Very nice! I really enjoyed that. Guitar, vocals -- everything. Great job!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »
Sounds real good, Nate. Almost no one plays Henry Townsend material, great to see this. And not easy to pull off.

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
I really like this one also!

And don't feel shy about posting, this is great, we need more.
Where else am I gonna' learn anything?   :)

Joe

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
Really good Nate, great energy.  I think the only other person I've seen do Henry Townsend was Alvin Hart at PT.  Somone asked him what he was doing with his right hand, to slow it down please.  His response was, aw, you just flop it around alot.  big smile.  Alvin, the consummate instructor.  :P

bayrum78

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:15:31 AM »
Gosh - I had no idea you guys had all posted to this topic! Thanks for the feedback! I didn't know about HT until recently and I was so smitten and mesmerized by his minimalistic wizardry I had to giv e his style a go. Thanks guys. This is perhaps a bit presumptive on my part, but if anybody would like me to slow my hand down in a video to show what's going on, I'd be more than happy to put something together. There is certainly a lot of flopping going on :-)

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »
Hey Nate, I for one appreciate any help I can get to learning how to get these great sounds out of these wooden boxes. So yeah, slowed down versions would be great if you're so inclined.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
Sounds pretty good.  I do a version of this tune also. 
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal