collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He's had a lot of trouble at home and he's decided to hit the dirty, dusty road for parts unknown. He wants to forget everything and to go somewhere else, so he sings this novel blues as his lazy mule joggles him along the old dirt road - Charlie Patton, 1929 newspaper ad for Down The Dirt Road Blues

Author Topic: Poor Howard (warts and all...)  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Mike Brosnan

Poor Howard (warts and all...)
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:35:19 AM »
Thought I'd post the (d)evolution of this tune as I try to get comfortable with it.  Obviously a work in progress...  Having fun experimenting along the way.  Not so sure about the key yet... I'll try to post a mellower version sans fingerpicks later.

For comparison's sake (and to laugh at myself some more), here's a repost of the sloppy drunk version I recorded the first night I was messing with this tune:

Offline sustaireblues

Re: Poor Howard (warts and all...)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:47:39 AM »
That's sounding good Mike, I like the vocal sections also. I'm always inspired by the drive your thumb gives to your picking, very powerful and steady!

Joe

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:04:24 AM »
Really strong, enjoyable performance.  See you went to the Mr. O'Muck School of Disguise...  ;)
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »
Thanks, folks.  The vocals definitely need work and I'll definitely need a mic to project my voice above this beast.  Todd described this guitar as a "real cannon".  I'd have to agree.  Loud as hell when I really drive it with fingerpicks.
P.P.- The disguise just helps keep the light out of my eyes. :)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »
..that's cool, Mike..really bangin' right thumb, almost sounds like a foot keeping time..You look like you're having fun, and if the change from vid1 and vid2 is any indication, you need to lay off the sauce, bro!  ;-)   Looking forward to your progress on the 12..  Regards, Tom

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  My foot was definitely bangin' away in the background there.  The second vid with the moving camera is a day or two older than the first one.  That was the first night I started working on that tune.  I just put that one up for fun.  But yeah, you're right.... I do need to lay off the sauce.  :(

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 03:56:01 AM »
That's the way to do it!

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
Mike,

That sounds excellent, though you really do need a microphone to compete with that guitar. It looks like when you made the first video your camera was even drunker than you were.

Todd

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
Sounds good Mike!  Energetic, & thumpin' but the tempo could have been a bit faster  :P!
Check out those youtube voice exercise videos I posted a link for in the lessons section. They really will help open up your voice.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »
much thanks, folks!
jt- yeah, this is obviously just a practice run.  i'll definitely use a mic when i'm trying to record a real performance.  pardon the paraphrase: the camera has been drinking, not me...

o'muck- i checked those vocal vids out real quick fast, but haven't really worked with 'em yet.  thanks for reminding me.  i definitely got a lot o' work to do with my voice.  asthma's been rough lately...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:02:21 AM by Mike Brosnan »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal