collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I've been in bigger jails than you've been towns - Arthur Jackson aka Peg Leg Pete aka Peg Leg Sam, in Bruce Bastin's Crying for the Carolines, p.85

Author Topic: Bootleggers' Blues  (Read 3478 times)

Offline motmot

• Some said it's beans, some said it's greens
Bootleggers' Blues
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:11:22 PM »
Thanks to Si and Norfolk Slim, I managed to overdub a fiddle track on top of a banjo and vocal track, on this version of a Mississippi Sheiks tune.  The fiddle line is pretty rudimentary, but it's a start.  Fascinating experience: first, to play along with yourself, and then to listen to both parts.  Very humbling, but very instructive. Here it is...
motmot
... but it's a slow consumption, killing me by degrees

Offline Chun

• Howdy!
Re: Bootleggers' Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 02:38:28 PM »
Interesting take on this tune using clawhanner banjo and fiddle. I like it.
I always thought the words were "you better make it to the woods if you can"
Works either way I guess.

Offline motmot

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 10:36:03 PM »
thanks for the feedback.
I never thought about "make it to the woods" as opposed to "make it throught this world," but now I do, I kind of like the latter.
Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.
motmot

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 07:10:47 AM »
Nice job, Mot. Sounds good and glad you figured out the overdubbing. I haven't tried that yet myself in Audacity.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 08:20:48 AM »
Yeah Mot, enjoyed that verry much!

37 Gibson

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 12:55:38 PM »
Very nice!  That fiddle sounds nice in there; I enjoyed the tune.

Offline motmot

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 09:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback.
memot

smilnJackB

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 05:44:53 AM »
Very nice.  I love old timey stuff like this.  Hey, I would love to learn a little claw hammer banjo.  Can you direct me toward an easy to understand claw hammer beginner video?  I borrowed an intemediate level video and I just plain don't get it.  Any help will be appreciated.  Jack

Offline motmot

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 07:05:49 PM »
Hi Jack,
Thanks for the kind words. I hesitate to recommend any clawhammer books or videos.  For that matter, I'm not sure a real banjo-player would say that I'm playing clawhammer; I just kind of "whang" on the thing, and try have my thumb hit the 5th string every now and then.
Cheers,
Tom

Offline Roscoe

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »
Ya Buddy..... I like this one!
Roscoe

Offline Dr. G

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 05:47:13 AM »
Hey MotMot,

Just clicked on this thread on a whim with my morning coffee -- dee-lighted to hear that incomparable old-timey sound coming from somewhere other than that 5-string banjer lying across my own easy chair! And I thought clawhammering was becoming a dying art....

Nice banjo attack, appropriately simple but tasteful fiddling, and terrific vocals. You capture that wistful, languid, dreamy Appalachian sound that 3-finger picking -- in all its energy and drive -- simply bulldozes over.

There was of course tremendous -- and generally underappreciated -- crossover between "white" stringband music and "black" blues styles throughout the early part of the century, and to hear an example of some of this hybrid sound is very welcome to my ears. I'd like to hear more!

My own first instrument (after violin, that is) was 5-string banjo, and I still love it for that unique (if limited range) sound and mood. You have encouraged me to post a clawhammer number or two myself on the BP.

Note to smilinJackB:  You might try out David Holt's "Clawhammer Banjo" video on Homespun. I bought his 2nd and 3rd volumes for my daughter and thought they were pretty user-friendly. (Haven't seen his basic, Volume 1, though -- but I suspect that it would be pretty good.)

I learned clawhammer back in the days when nobody (except maybe a couple of Real McCoys from Pumpkin Hollow) knew how to do it, much less teach it...so I can truly appreciate your early frustration. Clawhammering is much like riding a bike: once you learn it, it's impossible to forget; but until you can keep that thing vertical and your feet moving on the pedals, you think "how the @##&%%@## can ANYBODY do this?"

Richard has provided a fabulous "how to" mp3 series on playing rhythm accompaniment (see thread "-- A Dying Art?") on the general forum. I would consider doing the same for basic clawhammer banjo if there is enough interest out there. Lemme know!

Dr. G

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 01:24:06 AM »
I don't know how clawhammer fits in with lap style, but do it Doc G... I have adapted a finger pick to make it a bit more self sufficient so why not add another string to the bow  :)

Would this be a clawhammer surgery then  :P
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Dr. G

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 07:23:24 AM »
You're on, Richard. I'll try to get started this weekend.

FWIW, some clawhammer ("frailing") techniques work great with guitar. Can't play Tommy McClennan' signature lick (Whiskey Headed Man, Woman, Guitar King, etc.) without them.

And yes, clawhammer can be played in practically any position...including lap...it's really more of a rhythm instrument (even if played very melodically) -- a frame drum with strings, if you will -- than a melody one, and should be very easy for a guy who knows his way around Gretches, Zildjians, and the like!

I sure can't make you sound like you were born in Mississippi with this banjo thing... but on some mountain top in North Carolina, or in some hollow in Kentucky?...oh yeah!....you'll be putty in my hands.... 

Offline motmot

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »
Dr. G,

Thanks for your comments. Great to know this six-month-old thread is still catching ears and interest.

Dig deeper in the Back Porch and you'll see I've hacked out and posted banjo versions of two other tunes that're usually thought of as guitar pieces: Pallet on Your Floor, and Candyman. (In jams I've been known to try to translate Statesboro Blues to 5-string (not clawhammer, but up-picking), I haven't pulled it together enough to try posting it.)

The intersection of blues and old-time just fascinates me.

There's some other good banjo playing on the back porch, by Banjochris and others.

Also, go to frankie's website, donegone.net, and check out the banjo-fiddle duet of Curly-Headed Woman.

Again, thanks for your kind words.

Cheers,
motmo

Offline Dr. G

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 07:08:06 PM »
Cool, MotMot

I look forward to following all your leads and suggestions. I'm a spankin' new weenie, and cannot believe what a treasure trove y'all have here!

Best, Dr. G

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal