collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Saturday night is your big night. Everybody used to fry up fish and have one hell of a time. Find me playing till sunrise for 50 cents and a sandwich. And be glad of it. And they really liked the low-down blues - Muddy Waters

Author Topic: Thank you to the back porch weenies....  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Thank you to the back porch weenies....
« on: July 03, 2005, 02:19:48 PM »
For supportive and constructive comments and for just listnening to my stuff.  It was a big step towards finally playing songs in front of people which I finally did last night at Woody Mann's seminar in Yorkshire. 

It went okay- and when I can get the fingers to stop shaking it will be even better! :)

si

Re: Thank you to the back porch weenies....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 03:12:46 PM »
Congrats on your first public performance Norfolk Slim, wishing you many more. And don't worry about the shaking fingers. First time I played at an open session (in Bedford UK) my fingers plus both my legs were shaking uncontrollably. For me the solution was to play slower , that gave me a little longer to get from each note to the next, which compensated for the misfiring nerves. Any good open acoustic sessions in your local pubs?

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 03:53:26 PM »
you go, Slim.  One step (or many) ahead of me. 

Don't forget about posting to the BP now that you'll be rich and famous playing the CB on stage, though...  ;D

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 09:40:39 PM »
Congrats Slim!  Just nervous fingers?  Sheesh - I had a complete train wreck when I first played in front of a crowd... and occasionally still do! heh

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 01:09:06 AM »
Well...  I was pleasantly surprised to find the vocal sort of taking care of itself (I was expecting to warble!) but missed a few fingerings due to wobbly fingers- and got rather too fast...  I managed to 'lose' a verse as a result, simply because I didnt have enough thinking time left (playing so damned fast) to think about what lyrics came next!

Next time....  ;D

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 07:49:15 AM »
Yeah, that thinking time is important... and also keeping the distractions to a minimum. One of my most embarrasing moments:  I had not been playing the song very long and was having trouble deciding if I should use a capo or not -- to better mtch my voice -- so I was practising singing it at two different pitches.  Came time to play I did the intro in one key and starting singing in the other key, which unsettled me so that I forgot the words to the next verse, which unsettled me so, I forgot the guitar part.  A true train wreck.  ;)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 08:28:54 AM »
"thinking time" is an issue I struggle with constantly, and what would allow a live performance by me to create  a new definition of "train wreck"!  Holding lyrics in my head just doesn't come naturally to me at all (much to my wif'es constant amusement...).  Frankly, I'm glad to hear I am not the only one for whom the words don't just magically appear in the mouth at the right moment.  I often need a few beats or measures of mental focus to get the next words in my head (even though I've had the printed words in front of me for nearly every BP recording I've made... my dirty little secret (maybe not so secret, you can see the lyrics sheet in my video, I think!)).  For me, as I get more facility with having the hands on "auto-pilot" - knowing that that beat will still be there even if I'm not concentrating on the hands - I am finding the singing and lyric finding comes easier. EasiER, on easy!  The message that you have to slow it down is also coming through loud and clear in this discussion.  I'm think going to buy a guitar with the words "slow down" inlayed upside down on the fretboard.

Anyway, recording for the porch has done tons for me in this regard.  So thanks from me too!

tom

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 09:05:54 AM »
Remembering lyrics is a constant battle.

I find one thing that helps is physically transcribing the lyrics, word by word, either by hand or on computer. I find I am much more successful this way than just trying to memorize from a book or downloaded lyric.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 10:51:49 AM »
I agree about writing out the lyrics - I took to doing this and it helps to force them to become your words, instead of just singing along with someone else.  I even go so far as to write out the arrangement I intend to play - marking where the break(s) will be, a note about which guitar variation I'm going to use in which verse, etc.  Committing ahead of time has helped take some of the guesswork out getting through a whole song.  Another crutch, but I'll take as many as I can get at this point...

tom

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 11:11:09 AM »
For what it's worth--years ago I recall reading an interview with a singer/guitarist (I can't remember exactly who and I don't want to guess) who addressed this problem when he was first starting out. His approach was to first get the guitar part and lyrics down pat playing alone. The next step was to play with a "real" distraction (something that would grab and break one's concentration) it could be TV or a video one liked or friends or family carrying on a conversation while ignoring him (requires cooperation, patience, and understanding, and certainly not easy to pull off), etc.. In other words, practice, practice, practice under unfavorable circumstances.

Stu

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 01:12:37 PM »
Glenn Gould practised with two radios blaring on either side of his piano...

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 01:31:47 PM »
UB:

That Glenn Gould did it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I've been a fan of his playing and sense of humor for a long time. Its off the site's topic, but there was a film done several years back highlighting his eccentricities among other things--"THIRTY-TWO SHORT FILMS ABOUT GLENN GOULD" (done after his death with actors)--which is fun, and several books on the man (with photos, such as he (as a teenager) and his dog posing at the piano) which are fascinating as well.

Stu.

si

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 05:54:47 PM »
More tips that helped me...
Play an easy one first.
Play at as many different open sessions as possible.
Don't chicken out if the other musicians are frighteningly good, they are the best places to play because you'll get the best support.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal