collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"You think you been livin' but you just been campin' out." - Ben Curry, "Hot Dog"

Author Topic: Would you get a 12 or 14 Fret Duolian?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
Would you get a 12 or 14 Fret Duolian?
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »
I have been seriously considering picking up a Republic resonator.  They offer their Duolian in both 12 and 14 fret models.  Does one have any advantages over the other?

I've actually also been considering vintage parlors, but guitars of that age make me nervous for some reason!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:39:26 PM by Westside Ryan »

Offline Adam Franklin

Re: Would you get a 12 or 14 Fret Duolian?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
I play a 12 fretter (not a Republic, my Daughter has one of their ukes though, it's pretty good), people say the deeper body makes for a bigger sound.

Pupils of mine often say they want the extra room, you have to think how often you'd be needing to play (and stay) past the 12th though. I use a capo quite a bit and use the slide to get chords up to about the 15th fret pretty easily.

Really though, it's up to you and what you like. Is there anywhere near you could try both?

Good luck with the search!

Adam.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:04:01 AM »
If you buy with care there is nothing to be afraid of with a vintage "parlour" (normally they are concert size, bigger than a true parlour). Just don't go for expensive collectors' items.

I have 3, ranging from a '10s $2 mail order job, a 1912 Oscar Schmidt and an all koa instrument from the '20s. 2 cost around ?600, and the former ?180. After a little work they all play beautifully and I have no problem taking them out.

As to resonators, the consensus is that the 12-fret models have a fuller sound. You need to balance this against playability if this is an issue for you. I have no problem playing traditional country blues on 12-fret instruments which are all I use nowadays, neither do many of my friends and acquaintances who play this music.

Offline unezrider

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:00:10 AM »
hello friend,
i think it's a personal choice. but for what its worth, i used to own a 12 fret oscar schmidt, & currently have a 12 fret nat, & i never have had any issues or found myself wishing i had a little more room on the fret board.
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »
Yeah, I visit that site often. They are inexpensive and seem to be all fixed up. Go for it.

Alex

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:48:54 PM »
Makes you want to move to Vermont really.

Offline unezrider

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
don't know about the republics, but the scale length is the same on national's 12 & 14 fretters. the body shape is what is different.
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal