collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The social ramble ain't restful. - Satchel Paige

Author Topic: 2nd Tuesday Session in Philadelphia  (Read 3169 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
2nd Tuesday Session in Philadelphia
« on: April 13, 2005, 02:15:48 PM »
It's at the Mermaid Inn.  They generally have sessions throughout the week - I've been to the monthly old-time session now & then...  that session is well attended and the level of musicianship is pretty high.  What they have listed in their events calendar is an 'Acoustic Blues' session on the 2nd Tuesday of every month.  No, I'm not exactly sure what that is supposed to mean, but on a whim, I went this past Tuesday.  I got there about 9pm and the place was bare of musicians... I got a beer, hauled in the instruments I'd brought (six-string, twelve-string, mandolin) and noodled while waiting for someone to show up.  Eventually two other musicians came out - a guy playing upright bass and a guy with a flute.  If another guitar player had shown, I might have been able to pull out the mando - maybe next month.  Anyway, the music on this night was mine for the choosing since these guys neither sang, nor seemed to be expecting to play anything outside a chicago style I-IV-V.  Needless to say, I was probably a big disappointment for them, but the flip side is that we played a bunch of music that probably rarely gets heard at sessions like this - I Crave My Pigmeat, K.C. Railroad Blues, Going To Florida, Alberta, Southern Can Is Mine, I Belong To The Band...  It was ok from my perspective - no train wrecks (no big ones, anyway), but it would be (in my opinion) more fun if there were some other people there who knew the old stuff...  these guys, while eminently competent, had never even heard of this stuff before.  The people there listening were into it, though, even if the other guys were a little uncomfortable with my repertoire.

Anyway, I have no idea how well attended this thing generally is, and it was the first time for the bassist as well.  I've been thinking for a while of starting something like a country blues session and since this thing is already set up, it might be interesting for some musicians who know the old stuff to get together and play.  I know that the people that play this stuff tend to be solo players, but it doesn't have to be so - if you've got your ears on, playing with others can open up a lot of possibilities.  At any rate, I'm going to make it a point to attend as often as I can over the next few months, although it's a haul for me.  If you're in striking distance of the Mermaid, check it out...  Like I said, I have no idea how it'll turn out, but the more CB nerds that turn up, the greater the likelihood of having fun.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: 2nd Tuesday Session in Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:03:37 PM »
Sounds good, Frank, although I'm not sure what a flute player is thinking exactly showing up at an acoustic blues session (aside from quills and and some fife stuff, I think actual flutes belong in classical music and, when wooden, Celtic stuff, as a general rule).  Not very open-minded of me, I know. :P 

Think this event is reliable enough to put it in the front page calendar? That way it'll keep popping up on the front page rather than drifting down in the forum thread list. The Mermaid webpage says every 2nd Tuesday, as opposed to the 2nd Tues of the month.

cheers,
Andrew

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 06:20:22 PM »
It's definitely the 2nd Tuesday of the month - 4th Tuesday is the old-time session.

Depends on what you mean by reliable...  seems like they've had 2nd Tuesday carved out for 'acoustic blues' since at least 1999 - there's one usenet posting regarding the session from that year, but I dunno...  I have no idea what kind of music has actually been played there, and I have no idea whether it'll develop into anything interesting.  I suppose if enough people get motivated to give it a try, it couldn't help but be fun, but it remains to be seen.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 07:51:53 PM »
Well if I happen to be out east on a 2nd Tuesday you know I'll meet you there, Frank. I already have a standing invite to be the featured player again at the Pontiac Grill acoustic blues night on South St. (which I hope you Philly area folks will support - every Thursday). The Mermaid looks like a good atmosphere. Hope you get more folks interested.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 05:09:09 AM »
2nd Tuesday's coming up next week - just a friendly reminder...  I'll be there unless the situation at work implodes.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 07:49:11 PM »
I listed this on the calendar, but a little bump couldn't hurt.  Last month's session was actually pretty cool.  Another guitar player showed up, which allowed me to play a bunch of mandolin.  Seemed like there were a handful of guys listening who were players trying to decide if they should bring instruments next time.  I guess we'll find out next week if they decide to take the plunge...

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 09:25:50 PM »
Sounds cool, Frank. I hope you keep it goin' so's I can plan my next trip east around the 2nd Tuesday.
Good Luck.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

rgoetz2002

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 05:39:29 PM »
Is this still happening?  I've been learning country blues from Stefan G's workshop and I'm trying to get up the nerve to show up.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 09:38:03 PM »
Is this still happening?  I've been learning country blues from Stefan G's workshop and I'm trying to get up the nerve to show up.

Hi - I haven't attended since June.  Between festivals and work, it's been hard to make time for it.  Frankly, it's not that well attended either by players or listeners - the last one consisted of me and two bass players (???).  All things considered, it seemed like I was sacrificing a night at home where I could be playing a Doc Roberts tune or Jack Kelly song with my wife.  For me at the moment, it's much more musically satisfying to stay home.

Give it a try, though - you may have better luck with it!

norman

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 10:51:56 AM »
I Crave My Pigmeat, K.C. Railroad Blues, Going To Florida, Alberta, Southern Can Is Mine, I Belong To The Band...?

Hey frankie!

I noticed you once posted something on the back porch before and was wondering if you (or anyone else) would be kind enough to give me an idea of what your rendition of "I crave my Pigmeat" sounds like. I'm a beginning guitar player and have been seriously interested in playing CB for a few months and that included working on that particular song. Just curious as to how other's playing have made it evolve.

Thanx

Norm

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 08:22:44 PM »
was wondering if you (or anyone else) would be kind enough to give me an idea of what your rendition of "I crave my Pigmeat" sounds like.

Hi Norman - I guess you could say that it sounds like me doing a bad imitation of Blind Boy Fuller, forgetting a line or two, adding a floater or two and then coming to an indecisive ending.  I haven't made a real study of it and only decided to pick it up because a harmonica playing friend of mine was really into it.  There must be other weenies who play it with more conviction than me...  sorry!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal